Taming down chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Miss717, May 5, 2011.

1. Miss717

Miss717 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    Can chicks be tamed down, how much, and what's the best way? Thank you in advance for any info. [​IMG]

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Not sure I understand the question??? Tamed down? As in made to love you... Oh yes! They can be lap chickens.. I have one baby chick who loves to sit in my lap and sleep... [​IMG]

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BackYardChickens! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes! Chickens can be tamed down to be as snuggly as a puppy!

Just hold them. Let them sit on your hand, talk to them. Inclose a big

erea off in the bathroom, or kitchen, sit down, and let them run around

you. [​IMG] Have fun!

-Scissor

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Mess with them all the time. Mess with them when they are awake, sleepy, eating, whatever. I find that some of the best times to hold the 'wild' ones are when they are sleepy. They fight less. I often carry one around under my chin for a while when it's being particularly stubborn about letting me touch it in the brooder, and this seems to help. Few minutes a day, and a week or so later they are coming up to me in the brooder with the rest of the social ones. I have 18 older chicks, and only have 5 that wont willingly come to me. I have 4 that are pure lap chickens and sit in my lap and sing to me like a bird. Silly girls! [​IMG]

5. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    One way to help tame chicks is to pick them up from underneath and not from the top. I used to pick them up from the top and they'd freak out every time. Once you give them treats most will come to you without force. It also depends on the chick's personality. Some of my chickens naturally love being around me and being held. They'll jump on my arm like a parrot or onto my lap and sit down. I didn't have to train those chicks to do that. Some chicks will never like being picked up, and that's how it is. My boyfriend's Leghorns hate being touched the slightest bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by