Taming duck story (Still in progress)

TheGooseLord

Songster
Jul 17, 2018
Columbiana, Ohio
I bought a tub of meal worms at the feedstore to tame my ducks. Heres the story

TAKE 1: I wore a light jacket, put the tub out, and shook the tub to get their attention,
they come running.
A few get close but none eat the worms. I slowly reach my hand out and they walk away.
I shook it again, they came back. My rouen (Darkwing) starts rampaging the small pile I put down. I slowly move my hand up. He backs away. My Khaki Campbell (Kazoo) comes close but doesnt eat any. My Jumbo Pekin (Daisy) comes and starts taking a bit. She backs off in a split.

TAKE 2: Did the same thing except I added celery leaves to the mealworm tub. Kazoo gets close, no luck though, Darkwing takes a bit. My 2 pekins (Daisy and Daffy) start pecking at the side. Some falls out. All ducks go to the bit of spilled mealworm and rampage. They linger for a few and then walk away.

How did I do? Any thoughts or improvements?

I have 8 Pekin ducks and they are all very skittish. We held them daily as ducklings, several times a day. The come when I have food or meal worms and will follow me at times. However, if I reach to let them (which I so badly want to do since they are so silky) they spaz! LOL. Oh well. Fun to watch and the eggs? DELISH!

Back
Top Bottom