Taming trio with "aggressively" friendly ringleader

seashoreduck

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
We had a devastating weasel attack late last fall when my fall babies were about 2 months old. It got under a 1.5 foot skirt. It got both fall babies and one of my big girls. I rehomed my dear other chicken so she wouldn't have to over winter alone.

I'm thrilled to be starting again.

I have 3 chickens. They were hatched approximately 2/1, so they are a little over 2 weeks old.
I have
HopHop- Buff Orphington
Star- Americuna
Ashy the 2nd- Gold Laced Wyandott

So I've worked to tame them as I have all my others with some yummy mealworms. Ashy, however, has decided that SHE will be the only recipient of said treats. She will hop on my hand and gobble them and even somewhat defend them. (are resource guarding chickens even a thing?)

Star has learned to come to me a bit, but HopHop has no desire what so ever. The antics of Ashy keep her far away from me. I've tried to separate them but that turns into an angry peep fest.

So is there any way to help the other 2 become friendly? HopHopp, in particular, is a Buff from a farm known for its golden retriever like Orphingtons. I was really hoping to get a friendly chicken out of her. My fall baby was so cute and spirited. but I didn't have her for long enough to really see if it would follow through into adulthood.

Attachments

• chickens.jpg
    chickens.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 9
Some chicks just tame easier. Continue with what you are doing being sure all three get some worms; even if you have to toss it to them. gradually shorten the toss. In time all will come running.

So the one who is bossy about treats won't hinder the other 2? I do drop some for the other two. Star is warming up, but the Buff is about as sharp as a spoon though and hasn't gotten the picture at all.

You might have to push the first one aside so the others have a chance. And...you have 2 hands and 2 shoulders and 2 knees. If you sit down you'll soon see that the chicks will make use of a human roost.

You might have to push the first one aside so the others have a chance. And...you have 2 hands and 2 shoulders and 2 knees. If you sit down you'll soon see that the chicks will make use of a human roost.
That's a great idea. I've been feeding them from the brooder door, but no reason not to take them all out and have fun.

I suggest you name them and give each a morsel only after it's name is called. I will take a few such trainings to get each bird to come only when it's name called. That can be a way to prevent one bird from monopolizing the "treats". Take care to not reward pecking you as that can develop into aggression used to get more food.

Back
Top Bottom