taming your chickens

i have some silkies too but i did not get them as babies. if you are able to tame the older one that would be pretty nice. perhaps you could let me know?

send me a private message and I will let you know how it goes with the older chick. She's three months already and has had no handling yet so this will defiently be a bigger challenge! If she fusses I'm going to just let her swak and fuss and put her in my lap until she calms. then I will start the petting. I'm hoping eventually she will come around. I don't
know her temperament yet but she's due to arrive on wed afternoon. Please keep in touch with me and I'll share with you how the training sessions go!! Everyone is handled seprately at least twice a day during their "training" I sometimes comb the silkies while they are in my lap.i also touch the head and around the face. This way when they are older I can trim the crests without them shying away. I know this three month old is going to be a bigger challenge but I won't give up! Wish me luck and please keep in touch and I'll keep you updated on what I'm doing and how she's progressing. I just hope she's got a nice temperment to start. I'll soon find out. :)

send me a private message and I will let you know how it goes with the older chick. She's three months already and has had no handling yet so this will defiently be a bigger challenge! If she fusses I'm going to just let her swak and fuss and put her in my lap until she calms. then I will start the petting. I'm hoping eventually she will come around. I don't
know her temperament yet but she's due to arrive on wed afternoon. Please keep in touch with me and I'll share with you how the training sessions go!! Everyone is handled seprately at least twice a day during their "training" I sometimes comb the silkies while they are in my lap.i also touch the head and around the face. This way when they are older I can trim the crests without them shying away. I know this three month old is going to be a bigger challenge but I won't give up! Wish me luck and please keep in touch and I'll keep you updated on what I'm doing and how she's progressing. I just hope she's got a nice temperment to start. I'll soon find out.
smile.png
will do ! good luck. i have a feeling you probably dont need it though.

I find that chickens like consistency...as a person with mild OCD I tend to prefer that things are always the same too so me and my chickens get along pretty well. My chicks have been trained to climb into a big tote on command so I can put them out in their run for the day and they all climb back into their coop on command at the end of the day. It only took a week of using the same words, the same gestures, and a handful of treats everytime I took them in and let them out to teach them to do it.

Last edited:
When dealing with chickens just remember they are ruled halfway by their stomaches and halfway by their survival instincts. Reward good behavior with treats and using your fingers to preen their feather. Ignore spooked/flighty behavior. And if you have a rooster NEVER let them think they are scaring/intimidating you(even if they really are terrifying you)

Mine are "trained" to come to the door when they hear me coming out. They know I might have treats for them. But only one of them likes/wants to be petted.

I find it is usually either a very dominant hen that likes to be handled and doesn't let the other hens close enough to be pet or a very low in the pecking order hen that likes to spend time being held or petted because they realize people will protect them from the other hens or they just have no friends and want some attention.

Back
Top Bottom