taming your keets

shoetou

Songster
5 Years
Mar 13, 2015
do they really get tame and how long dose it take? I hold it every day but it still runs around in the box as I try to get it. or is that the norm . and will it ever come to you on its own?

I've read that some people can get them really tamed but I think what you are describing is more normal. In the wild a keet's only defense is to run and hide. And it is always their instinct to do it. It may help to slide your hand across the floor to pick it up. Something coming in over top of them triggers the flight response.
I have some male adults that were my first guineas. They aren't what I would consider tamed but they are easy to handle if I pick them up. The females have never liked being held no matter how much I tried to tame them.
hmm.png

We held our guinea every single day, several times a day from day one, but he never stopped the running away thing. I clip his wings as he is very good at flying and tried claiming the neighbors yard as his own. He comes in the house every day with the girls (our hens) but my daughter is really the only one that can actually catch him. Once she has him he will sit there calmly enough and even fall asleep while she strokes his neck and wattles. However once he's on the ground again, hes off like lightening, and wont let anyone else touch him.

EMERGENCY:
my month and five days old guinea all of a sudden won't walk, eat or drink. We dipped her beak in sugar water, and she drank a little but the next time we tried, she didn't drink. She seems to be getting worse and kind of paralized?? Please help! First time raising a mixed flock of chickens and guinea fowl, and I would be heartbroken if anything bad happens to her.

EMERGENCY:
my month and five days old guinea all of a sudden won't walk, eat or drink. We dipped her beak in sugar water, and she drank a little but the next time we tried, she didn't drink. She seems to be getting worse and kind of paralized?? Please help! First time raising a mixed flock of chickens and guinea fowl, and I would be heartbroken if anything bad happens to her.

Mix up a little molasses and water and try to get it down her. It sounds like she has gotten into some kind of toxin that is paralizing her. I hope she makes it!

So sorry to hear that.
sad.png

I had the same thing happen with a beautiful young rooster. By the time I realized that he had eaten rotten cabbage it was too late to save him.
Molasses will help remove toxins from their body so it's a good idea to keep some on hand in case it ever happens to another one of your birds.
I've read that it works but fortunately I haven't had to try it since.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that. :(

I had the same thing happen with a beautiful young rooster. By the time I realized that he had eaten rotten cabbage it was too late to save him.
Molasses will help remove toxins from their body so it's a good idea to keep some on hand in case it ever happens to another one of your birds.
I've read that it works but fortunately I haven't had to try it since.
so sorry! Now I'm not sure what to do because I only have one guinea now, and I need at least two

It is hatching season all over the country now, so I'm sure there will be someone in your area willing to part with one or two before long.
It's always so hard to loose any of our birds but it seems like it's usually a favorite that it happens to. You gave your guinea a good life while you had her.
That's all any of us can hope to do.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom