Tapeworm and Capillaria

Note:

one tablet of pigeon-sized Mediworm is Composition:
. Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg
. Praziquantel 5mg

Was told:
For the Pyrantel pamoate, chickens can safely take 75-100mgs/kg.
For the Praziquantel, chickens can have a dose of 2.5mg-10mg/kg.

So the limiting factor is Praziquantel as it is at a higher dose in the tablet. With one tablet per KG of chicken's weight... we aimed at the medium sized dosage.

One week ago, the stool sample had 100 eggs per gram of Capillaria worms. At that point, we gave the chickens the Mediworm tablets.

Today it is 8 days later and a new stool sample comes back with 50 eggs per gram of Capillaria. So their population is cut in half but not eliminated.

The Mediworm bottle said that in severe cases to wait 14 days and give again.

So... I guess I'll wait till this weekend and give again but I'm wondering if I should increase the dosage this time.

As noted before, the amount of Praziquantel in one tablet is the limiting factor. We can go up to 2 mediworm tablets per kg of bodyweight. We are going to administer this amount of dosage today.

We waited one week from the 2nd dosage and ran a stool sample. The Capillaria is gone (yeah!) but now there is 450 EPG (eggs per gram) of Eimeria which is a fancy word for "cocci." These are all 3 or 4 year old birds. Most likely the medicine got rid of the good bacteria in the gut and caused the cocci to grow. The chickens look fine and act fine. I'll give them some yogurt with active cultures to boost their gut :)

We waited one week from the 2nd dosage and ran a stool sample. The Capillaria is gone (yeah!) but now there is 450 EPG (eggs per gram) of Eimeria which is a fancy word for "cocci." These are all 3 or 4 year old birds. Most likely the medicine got rid of the good bacteria in the gut and caused the cocci to grow. The chickens look fine and act fine. I'll give them some yogurt with active cultures to boost their gut :)
So what drug treated the capillaria?

Hi Casportpony,

"Pyrantel tartrate was more effective then pyrantel pamoate against the adult stage of A galli, and it was somewhat effective against Capillaria when administered at 15–25 mg/kg"

Previously I had used Valbazen but wanted to try something different.

What other medications do you use for capillary worms? Our chickens spend a lot of time exploring and eating earthworms and, of course, there are wild birds out there... so I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Hi Casportpony,

"[COLOR=333333]Pyrantel tartrate was more effective then pyrantel pamoate against the adult stage of [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]A galli, and it was somewhat effective against Capillaria[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] when administered at 15–25 mg/kg"[/COLOR]

Previously I had used Valbazen but wanted to try something different.

What other medications do you use for capillary worms? Our chickens spend a lot of time exploring and eating earthworms and, of course, there are wild birds out there... so I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Ah, thanks, now I remember seeing that study, but don't remember what the numbers were. I also read that a combo of pyrantel tartrate *and* praziquantel is toxic in chickens (fyi). For capillary worms I would use Safeguard, Valbazen, or something in that family. Will you be doing another fecal any time soon?

Back
Top Bottom