Tapeworm issue

Cmeis

Hatching
Oct 20, 2020
New chicken owner and I have some questions about tapeworms. I definitely have a tapeworm problem and just discovered it today.
I have been eating my girls eggs daily, is that ok? Or should I be concerned about the eggs being infected as well?
My dogs LOVE to eat chicken poop, do they need to be dewormed?
Is it possible to get rid of tapeworms for good?
thanks!!

So, I’m far from being an expert, but I have had to do quite a bit of research.
First, you sound very sure, but I would double check that they’re tapes and not rounds. I say this because rounds are far more likely in poultry.

That said, to answer one question, it is possible to find a worm in an egg, but very rare. And I’ve only heard of finding a roundworm in an egg; I don’t believe I’ve heard of a tape in an egg.
I wouldn’t worry too much, although I do check eggs anyway, because there are sometimes some interesting things in there. Lol.

For the other question, I personally deworm dogs twice a year anyway, because they do eat poop and critters and who knows what.
I have read that worms are species specific, but I don’t know about tapes going from chickens to dogs. Like I said, I’d just deworm anyway.

I agree with Sloanbychoice, round worm are more common. Any way to get a fecal sample to a vet? Then you would know better how to treat it and the dogs as it is typically different meds for each type of worm. My dog eats the poop too so I panicked when I had a bout of roundworm in the chickens. Turns out, his heartworm meds also kill roundworm so I didn't have to do anything special.

This is what they look like

Attachments

• 1B7347AF-8FE9-41A5-95F6-24587D5E01B4.jpeg
    1B7347AF-8FE9-41A5-95F6-24587D5E01B4.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 40
This is what they look like
Yep tapeworms. I would worm anything that came in contact with the poop. Tape worm eggs can stay in the environment for months so I would retreat in 3 or 4 months. You don't always see the worms because they hide very well in the host. Fleas transmit them so you may want to get the dogs on a monthly flea treatment.

So I’ve always read that Ivermectin has no affect on tapes. I’ve never used it though, and @Kiki is very knowledgeable, so I could be wrong.

I use Valbazen in my flock, which has an egg withdrawal of a couple weeks. I personally don’t toss them, though. But I’m not recommending anyone else eat the eggs. I just don’t toss them, because Albendazole is the same drug they give humans. (Not that that makes it safe...lol)

So I’ve always read that Ivermectin has no affect on tapes. I’ve never used it though, and @Kiki is very knowledgeable, so I could be wrong.

I use Valbazen in my flock, which has an egg withdrawal of a couple weeks. I personally don’t toss them, though. But I’m not recommending anyone else eat the eggs. I just don’t toss them, because Albendazole is the same drug they give humans. (Not that that makes it safe...lol)
You're right. Ivermectin in the Equimax has no effect on tapeworms, but the praziquantel in the Equimax kills tapeworms deader than a door nail.

Back
Top Bottom