Tapeworms won’t go away !

Louisetho2

Chirping
Nov 27, 2018
NSW, Australia
Hi guys.
I’ve got a recurring tapeworm issues. It started when I noticed those orange worms (photo attached)
I first treated with Avitrol and they came back 2 weeks later. I’ve been told I didn’t give them enough so I retreated, and gave the second round after 10 days yesterday. Today I noticed some more worms in their poop, not many like 2/3 per poop.
How on earth are they still there after treating them yesterday??

I keep picking up poo from the backyard, cleaning the coop etc but I’m going away for 3 weeks on Sunday and I won’t be able to pick up their poo (and reduce risk of reinfectation).
Can I treat them again next Sunday before I leave to reduce any risk while I’m away? This is starting to drive me nuts!!!

Attachments

• DBEE9FD3-5FFB-4504-AD86-0FBA1FF205F1.jpeg
    DBEE9FD3-5FFB-4504-AD86-0FBA1FF205F1.jpeg
    740.6 KB · Views: 26
I have seen your other threads and I always wonder about those coming from the ground when I see them out in the grass all around and on the dropping. Have you tried to get the tapeworms or the eggs diagnosed by a vet? Large or small animal vet should be able to do a fecal float, and I think I would try. I have never dealt with tapeworms, so I cannot imagine the problem you are having. Whoever feeds your chickens while you are away may need to keep up treatment.

Hi guys.
I’ve got a recurring tapeworm issues. It started when I noticed those orange worms (photo attached)
I first treated with Avitrol and they came back 2 weeks later. I’ve been told I didn’t give them enough so I retreated, and gave the second round after 10 days yesterday. Today I noticed some more worms in their poop, not many like 2/3 per poop.
How on earth are they still there after treating them yesterday??

I keep picking up poo from the backyard, cleaning the coop etc but I’m going away for 3 weeks on Sunday and I won’t be able to pick up their poo (and reduce risk of reinfectation).
Can I treat them again next Sunday before I leave to reduce any risk while I’m away? This is starting to drive me nuts!!!
This looks like it's coming from the ground and climbing on to the poop.
Look around the poop you can see them in the grass.
Im not convinced this is tapeworms.
Can you take this sample to a vet?

I have seen your other threads and I always wonder about those coming from the ground when I see them out in the grass all around and on the dropping. Have you tried to get the tapeworms or the eggs diagnosed by a vet? Large or small animal vet should be able to do a fecal float, and I think I would try. I have never dealt with tapeworms, so I cannot imagine the problem you are having. Whoever feeds your chickens while you are away may need to keep up treatment.
I have done a fecal float. 2 actually. One said they found hairworms (I think...) and I took another sample to another vet 3 days later and they said they couldn’t find anything ...
I wanted to take another sample on Saturday but because I just wormed them I was afraid they wouldn’t find anything ...
That pic was taken when I first noticed the worms. Now I always pick up the poo and sprinkle hydrated lime on top to be sure it kills everything. However I’ll be away for almost 3 weeks and can’t ask the person looking after the hens to pick up every poo in my backyard ... I will give them Avitrol on the day I leave to try and reduce the risk but I’m afraid it won’t be enough and might need to start over again when I get back (worm chickens + probably spray my whole backyard...) they keep coming back and it’s just driving me INSANE

This looks like it's coming from the ground and climbing on to the poop.
Look around the poop you can see them in the grass.
Im not convinced this is tapeworms.
Can you take this sample to a vet?
I’ve seen my hen poop and these were already on the poo as soon as she did it... but I agree when I see photo of tapeworm segment it’s a bit different. White and more round than those... however they do move when fresh. Then they dry up

We have seen you on this and the other thread with the similar looking yellow specks. The other person also seemed to have a lot of difficulty in getting rid of them. I would wonder if anyone at a poultry college in Australia could look at some pictures of those, just in case they know of that type of tapeworm. I wish I was more helpful, but tapeworms are not seen that often, and the ones I have seen pictures of that affect poultry usually are white and more differently shaped. I was just fooling around and found a couple of names here that might be able to guide you or tell you where to call:
http://www.poultryhub.org/dr-gerber-an-australian-field-leader-in-veterinary-medicine/

https://www.une.edu.au/study/study-options/study-areas/animal-related-studies/poultry-science

We have seen you on this and the other thread with the similar looking yellow specks. The other person also seemed to have a lot of difficulty in getting rid of them. I would wonder if anyone at a poultry college in Australia could look at some pictures of those, just in case they know of that type of tapeworm. I wish I was more helpful, but tapeworms are not seen that often, and the ones I have seen pictures of that affect poultry usually are white and more differently shaped. I was just fooling around and found a couple of names here that might be able to guide you or tell you where to call:
http://www.poultryhub.org/dr-gerber-an-australian-field-leader-in-veterinary-medicine/

https://www.une.edu.au/study/study-options/study-areas/animal-related-studies/poultry-science
Thank you for your help. I’ve been posting a bit everywhere hoping someone would have an answer

At one time there was a medicine called a Worm-All Tablet that killed all worms in chickens. Unfortunately this was deemed to easy so now the only approved worm treatment on the market (in this country) will not remove tape worms from chickens. I guess that is called PROGRESS!
I am in Australia. I’ve been using Avitrol Plus tablets. I bought some Equimax which I will try when I get back from holidays

Back
Top Bottom