Tapeworms?

Definitely a tapeworm segment where the arrow is pointing, tough to tell in the second pic, but it doesnt matter. Dose any chicken that excretes the segments. It's not necessary to treat all your chickens, just the ones with the segments.
If it were roundworms, you would want to dose all your chickens, but not necessary with tapeworms.
Thank you. I read another of your posts where you talked about isolating chickens for treatment. I guess I'll be spending a few hours on poop patrol. I had thought about treating all chickens since I have never wormed prior. Is there great harm? I know some people worm as a regular maintenance. I think I'd like to worm and then holistic preventative.

Add: Also, what is the egg withdrawal time?

Last edited:
If you want to worm all your birds, that's fine. When it comes to tapeworms, most folks dont want to follow their birds waiting for them to poop. They'd rather just worm all their birds and get it done with. Generally, there's a 14 day egg withdrawal period after using most wormers.
Dont count on holistic preventatives when it comes to worms, they fail.

If you want to worm all your birds, that's fine. When it comes to tapeworms, most folks dont want to follow their birds waiting for them to poop. They'd rather just worm all their birds and get it done with. Generally, there's a 14 day egg withdrawal period after using most wormers.
Dont count on holistic preventatives when it comes to worms, they fail.
Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciate the timely responses. I'm rather anxious about all of this, so your help is greatly appreciated.
I did spend about an hour and a half with my birds. I know one for sure has them, another I suspect. The others, I couldn't catch in the act. But, I'm seeing more and more droppings with segments. So I think I'm going to worm them all. I understand and agree with your thoughts on preventatives, and I certainly won't rely solely on holistics. After getting this under control (fingers crossed), I'm going to pay much more attention to prevention. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom