Tar Paper and Roll on Roofing?

If you look at the instructions on the packaging, I am guessing it will say that you have to roll on liquid tar adhesive under the rolled roofing. That's what I read on the stuff they had at the store. I opted for shingles because of that. It only took about half an hour to do the whole thing. It was cheaper to use shingles too.

I just asked DH, as I have no experience with rolled roofing (I did use tar paper with shingles on my coop). He said you should use tar paper, although he said it's mostly for long term benefits of possibly redoing the roof (makes it easier to remove I suppose). But he added that it will also help with any small leak issues around the nails... But you could do without, just as you could do without using shingles (on a coop)...

The main types of residential roll roofing would be either glue down, torch down or peel and stick. Peel and stick would be the easiest to use for a coop but its a bit more expensive to buy. Torch down needs base sheet installed with cap nails. (I cant tell you how many times I have seen a roof blow off because the base sheet was stapled down) Glue down just plain sucks to work with and can be very messy. I would just buy a bundle of shingles unless your getting the roll roofing for free. Just be sure the roof is not extremely flat or it will require some ice and water shield or a smaller exposure to keep from leaking.

Well, I think I can get some peel and stick rolled roofing from a friend. I guess that would be the simplest option.

Thanks all, for your help.
Carrie Lynn

Back
Top Bottom