Target shopping bag

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
I was carrying a paper shopping bag from the car, and entire flock started giving alarm calls. I went over to see what was going on, and they ran for cover while rooster still giving alarm call. Then I put down the bag (behind a wall) and they stopped the alarm calls. Looked all over the yard, and there were definitely no predators anywhere.

When I picked up the bag again, they started the alarm calls and didn't stop until I took the bag inside. Apparently this looks like a predator to chickens.

images.jpeg

I was carrying a paper shopping bag from the car, and entire flock started giving alarm calls. I went over to see what was going on, and they ran for cover while rooster still giving alarm call. Then I put down the bag (behind a wall) and they stopped the alarm calls. Looked all over the yard, and there were definitely no predators anywhere.

When I picked up the bag again, they started the alarm calls and didn't stop until I took the bag inside. Apparently this looks like a predator to chickens.

View attachment 1880172

:lau
A few weeks ago I was in the coop/run with my Littles (about 7 weeks old at the time) and they started freaking out about something. I looked up, trying to figure it out, and finally realized it was a large down feather outside the fence being pushed along by a gentle breeze. SO. TERRIFYING...

Last edited:
I would laugh at how terrified chickens can get at just about anything new in their environment. But, I remember when I was scuba diving and we would see a shark. Then you suddenly realize your place on the food chain. Or, one time we had a mountain lion walk through our property, it was screaming/growling very loudly, and I instinctively knew better than to go outside and confront it. Our dog ran down into the basement and did not come out until the next morning.

Everything eats chicken, and I think they know it.

I would laugh at how terrified chickens can get at just about anything new in their environment. But, I remember when I was scuba diving and we would see a shark. Then you suddenly realize your place on the food chain. Or, one time we had a mountain lion walk through our property, it was screaming/growling very loudly, and I instinctively knew better than to go outside and confront it. Our dog ran down into the basement and did not come out until the next morning.

Everything eats chicken, and I think they know it.

My chickens don't get scared at anything new, unless it chases them. Construction equipment, visiting guests, garden tools are all fine. They get scared when they see something that reminds them of a real predator. I think the Target logo (red circles) might look like an owl's eye.

My chickens don't get scared at anything new, unless it chases them. Construction equipment, visiting guests, garden tools are all fine. They get scared when they see something that reminds them of a real predator. I think the Target logo (red circles) might look like an owl's eye.

I agree, the Target logo looks like a big red predatorial eye. Even the "eyespot" markings on a butterfly's wings are terrifying to a bird who thinks he is about to get a nice bug snack; when the butterfly reveals that mark, the bird will fly away in terror. Chickens aren't stupid. One afternoon I noticed my yards were dead silent and still; there was not a cluck to be heard nor a feather to be seen. Then I looked up and saw several buzzards circling. All my birds lay low for about half an hour, till they were sure the enemy passed. They know what to fear.

Back
Top Bottom