Tarp for Shade

nancy1zak

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We have a heavy plastic tarp w/ grommets. Brown on one side, Pewter on the other side. Can I use this to cover the top of the run to provide more shade? Should I put the pewter side out or in? I don't want to make it hotter. I ordered a mesh shade tarp, but it is not here yet and we will be out of town for the week...and the entire week is supposed to be high 90's.

I think I have the same kind of tarp. I use it in the wintertime to make a windbreak on the side of one of my runs. I tried using it over the top of one of our tractors this spring but the chickens hate it. It makes the tractor too dark, and they hate the crackling sound that moving the tarp makes. So I bought some of those mesh shade tarps, too, and that's what I now use.

Definitely put the lighter color side out. And if there's a way that you can rig the tarp so that it's higher than the roof of your run, so there's circulation between the tarp and the roof, do that. Don't let the tarp cover any of the side of the run, either.

Will you have someone checking on your chickens during the week you're away, hopefully?

Since they have the shade under the coop...I guess we will just leave it with that. I think you are right that the plastic tarp might make them afraid when it makes a wrinkle noise. I ordered the mesh tarp and was hoping it would be here before we left. They said it shipped yesterday. : ( Yes...I have someone to watch and take care of our chickens while we are away. They have 10 chickens...so she is used to caring for them. Our chickens are pretty much confined to the run since we noticed two hawks circling our backyard while our chickens were out last week. Hopefully they will be ok while we are away.

I would poke a few intermittent holes in it in case you guys get a decent rain before your other shade comes in so that rain doesn't pool and bog down your tarp. And I use a tarp in one roof corner of my run...the girls got use to the crackling of the plastic soon enough.

Last edited:
I used weed stopping cloth that I had left over from the garden. It was on hand and has done a great job of shading the girls. Plus it lets moisture through so it does not collapse like a tarp would. And no noise since it is cloth.

I used a tarp for a cover on my run at first, a grey one with white underside. Even with the lighter color is was VERY hot under the tarp. They have tarps with breathing venelation holes, that's what I use now. It's black but it has a kind of breezeway while allowing some light and a lot of shade.

We used a camo/orange tarp on our run. Orange side down. Did not have any problems and had the tarp part way down the sides. Just bought a screen tarp because I thought they could use more air movement. I put the screen tarp on and the girls stayed in the coop. Took most of the day to figure out what was wrong. I placed a smaller tarp that just covers the top of the run, and as I was putting it on, they came running out of the coop as happy as could me. I guess they were use to having something over their heads(safety?). I put the screen tarp over that. Now if it rains, they will still be protected and still have lots of air movement. The screen tarp provides only filtered shade, so the other tarp helps with more shade.

Last edited:
Weed blocker cloth, works great!!!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom