Taste difference?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick1043, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Hi! I'm planning on getting a duckling along with a chick this Spring. I was wondering if there is a difference between duck eggs and chickens eggs in taste? Thanks :)

2. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    no they all taste the same to me...only thing i noticed different is the duck eggs are tougher than chicken eggs when cooked

3. leggomyegg0

leggomyegg0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Robbins
    Duck eggs... or at least mine have a strong flavor, more of a sulfur taste... and boy do they give my husband gas! The yolks are generally thicker, and the egg white are tougher... If you fry them add a little water to the pan first if you don't want them as tough, and they make great poached eggs that rarely break... If you bake they are the BEST and will make everything richer... and the whites whip up well for merangs and such.

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Duck eggs do taste a bit stronger to me. At first yard (chicken) eggs tasted stronger than store bought eggs, but now I really dislike the taste of store bought eggs. I have not tried to get used to duck eggs (as I no longer have ducks). I do have a few quail and their eggs taste different too. So, at first you might notice a stronger taste, but once you start eating "homegrown eggs" you won't want to go back. [​IMG] Really it depending on things like your preferences and how your body reacts.
    I can eat all the yard eggs I want and not have to worry about bad/smelly gas, but If I were to eat the store bought eggs I would have to limit how many and how often I eat them. So, for me I stick with yard eggs, no matter what species.

5. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Alright, thanks everyone:)

6. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Duck eggs have a "richer, deeper" flavour to chicken eggs and are brilliant for baking cakes. Here in the UK, they sell for a higher price than chicken eggs because of their richness.

I love, love, love duck eggs [​IMG]

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Duck eggs don't taste different from home raised chicken eggs, but they are very different from store bought chicken eggs.

The yolk in a duck egg is much bigger, so that will change the taste because there is more yolk to the white. The yolks and whites (of both chickens and ducks ) taste different. More yolk makes the egg taste more like yolk. More yolk also makes the egg richer and creamier in texture.

Duck eggs do a very good job in baked goods. They aren't so good for meringue because the whites are smaller.

I don't think the duck eggs are tougher, but they should be cooked at a lower temperature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by