Taste of Store Chicken versus home grown chicken

aprice6

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 1, 2007
We butchered 20 cornish rocks and we want to know if you notice a difference in taste. This is our first time eating our own home grown chicken and the after taste is not good. Should we have marinated them, or fed them something different besides feed the last week before butchering??

Ours was so much better than store bought. We fed ours chick starter then grower feed.

Ours had no after taste at all. Have you eaten more than one? and they all have an after taste?

We love ours. Did you cool them for a day before freezing/cooking? I've heard that is very important, so that's what we did. How are you preparing them?

I've not processed any of my own chicken (don't know if I have the courage yet) But a family member does, and gave us two - we've eaten one. I roasted it, and it was the best chicken ever! It was rather small, not much fat, but very very tasty and I haven't roasted a chicken in YEARS - I had to look up on the internet how to do it
gig.gif

It really made me want to do my own - and have a freezer full!

i think the texture of chicken is tough the first day. next day better. good flavor, though.

at the store, sometimes they are already infused with salt water or even a broth when you get them. maybe you like it better that way. try it different ways at home.

I agree; was it on ALL the birds, or just the one you've had so far?

What kind of an aftertaste was there? How did it taste? Bitter? Tallowy (like you have your tongue coated with not-quite-right fat?) Are you sure it was the TASTE, and not the TEXTURE?

I am trying to think of what went wrong, because there should be NO aftertaste.

The only thing I can think of (not likely, but it's the only thing that comes to mind) is that somehow was the gall bladder left on the liver, and they were left with the meat?

Is it possible there was soap or disinfectant on the meat?

Back
Top Bottom