Taste of Store Chicken versus home grown chicken

I think you're right.. I can just imagine the stink from the scalding/plucking working it's way in to the meat while gutting. I'm sure I'll screw up the first one when I do it. LOL!

While I am not an expert at this and have only butchered a dozen chickens in my life, I do like skinless chicken and therefore skinned them feathers and all. It was a whole lot easier than plucking them and smelling those wet feathers. I removed the legs and wings, then the breast and left the back attached to the entrails. then I took the gizzard, heart and liver out. there was little waste and little chance of any contamination.

Quote:
We dressed our WY a few months ago, they tasted great. We raised and dressed a lot of turkeys this year, the one we had for Christmas dressed out at 30 lbs, it was wonderful.

The taste of home grown is so much better then fast food or store bought.

I butchered my Blue Orp roos and they tasted fine but skinny on the meat...however it tasted fine. We skinned them and took only the breasts, no gutting either. Easy and quick to do the others waiting for their time to go to chicken heaven.

I left my breast meat in the refigerator for 48 hours and had some for lunch...delicious! Very different flavored than the store bought ones!

I personally can't stand store bought chicken home raised chickens have mush more flavor expecially if your making homeade chicken a dumplings you cant beat the taste if your chickens had a rancid or bad after taste then more than likely you broke the gall bladder in the chicken during processing or you ate a sick chick in either case your lucky you didn't get sick your selves

Quote:
Yeah, but if the thread hadn't been bumped I'd never have read it and learned of the pitfalls involved in puncturing an oil gland.

I didn't know there was an oil gland in chickens or that the gall bladder can cause nasty taste.

While in Mexico it was the first time I had eaten "home grown" chicken. I can say it is totally different than anything I ever ate in the States....lol....It did not taste like any chicken I ever ate, that's for sure.
I'm not sure you can compare the taste at all, and these were tough. BUT..tney had spent their entire lives free ranging up and down the mountain.
But...with some good mexican rice, beans, salsa, tortillas and coronas, they sure made a tasty meal.
IMHO..it's a taste you have to get used to. Perdue it's not!

Back
Top Bottom