Tattered wings

AimToMisbehave

Songster
Jul 13, 2015
Snohomish, WA
One of my drakes, Azula, has had some suuuper chewed up wing feathers all year, and I have no idea why. No one else in the flock looks like this, and he seems totally healthy otherwise, but his poor wings are a total mess! I kind of thought it might be our other drake pecking at him, but I haven't really seen that happening... anyone know what's causing this, and how I can fix it? He used to be so handsome

20170617_155422.jpg

AimToMisbehave

Songster
Jul 13, 2015
Snohomish, WA
How many drakes in the bunch? Could he be the low guy in the pond and get told that over and over by some buddies?

Just the two, with 7 females. They'll pigpile on the same female pretty regularly, so I know there's some competition between them, but I've never seen Zuko actually pecking him or grabbing his wings. And even the pigpiles don't last long, because the goose is a super vigilant chaperone.

Herdcutter

Songster
7 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Northern Michigan
Check all the usual places...under the wing, vent, and around the eye. Look for other balding spots on the underside and neck. Parasites aren't impossible, they are just unusual for ducks. Do a really good examination. Look along the wing tip and edges for other ideas. Can you see if the skin looks normal?

AimToMisbehave

Songster
Jul 13, 2015
Snohomish, WA
Check all the usual places...under the wing, vent, and around the eye. Look for other balding spots on the underside and neck. Parasites aren't impossible, they are just unusual for ducks. Do a really good examination. Look along the wing tip and edges for other ideas. Can you see if the skin looks normal?

I can try... none but the goose are particularly amenable to being picked up

Top Bottom