1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Tax Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Tylt33, Mar 4, 2012.

  1. Tylt33

    Tylt33 Songster

    Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Hi y'all,

    My best friend is a CPA and has been doing taxes for my wife and myself for the past few years. The thing is, he does it for free. We always give him swag, and this year were planning on doing like $200 worth of stuff, but we are worried that might not be enough. My wife and I each have 1040's, investments, a rental, and a bunch of itemized stuff. For any of you out there using a CPA, what are you paying?

  2. cassie

    cassie Crowing

    Mar 19, 2009
    That seems like plenty. I use tax software, but my stepdad used to hire his complicated tax return done and I am sure he never paid that much. I you want, you could call around to tax preparers and see what they charge for a similar return.
  3. Capvin

    Capvin Songster

    Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    For any of you out there that can get a real CPA to do what is described as a fairly complicated tax return for $200.00 please let me have his or her name and number. For doing one tax return as you described would be a minimum today of $500. If both of you have seperate returns, double it.
  4. Tylt33

    Tylt33 Songster

    Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Yeah that's kinda what I thought... Plus we have extra paperwork for refinancing and a special state tax credit from our state for buying a house. Guess we will have to step it up. Thank you for the input!!!
  5. OCpeep

    OCpeep Chirping

    Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    We pay our CPA $750 for our personal return, $1200 for our business. $200 is a great deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by