Taxidermy rabbit hide crafts?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hey all! Today I came across a woman selling these beautiful (pretty large) rabbit hides from her meat rabbits. I grabbed 2 of the biggest ones as I love taxidermy and pelts. I was wondering if there was anything I could make with them. I was thinking a hat (in the style of a raccoon hat) but wanted to know if anyone had ever done it and had some tips. Thanks in advance!

Hey all! Today I came across a woman selling these beautiful (pretty large) rabbit hides from her meat rabbits. I grabbed 2 of the biggest ones as I love taxidermy and pelts. I was wondering if there was anything I could make with them. I was thinking a hat (in the style of a raccoon hat) but wanted to know if anyone had ever done it and had some tips. Thanks in advance!
I'm curious to know to.

20191220_155103.jpg

20191220_155212.jpg

@RosemaryDuck - Man, so sorry I just found this thread! I absolutely love tanning, and I have used alot of domestic and wild rabbit. I've used cut offs from domestic rabbit to trim dreamcatchers, or making walking stick handles. People often use the rabbit fur to make the inside liner of handmade buckskin mittens. I've enjoyed simply using them for wall displays. Some people get a bunch saved up, and make their own rabbit hide pillow (which when you get crazy coat colors, makes a beautiful and unique living room focus point. Get creative with it, and really think about what you'd like to make. Did you get any immediate ideas when you first got those hides? I've got a wild rabbit hide that I sit a small basket on during the fall as a centerpiece that has dried corn ears or pine cones inside, and the fur seems to really bring it more of an interesting pop. Hope these may serve to inspire!

Back
Top Bottom