TCP taste tainting eggs??!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HFhens, Jul 17, 2019.

1. HFhens

HFhens Hatching

Jul 17, 2019
    PLEASE help!

We're having really bad problems with a strange and awful tcp-like taste tainting our backyard free range eggs. Thought we had sorted it a few weeks ago but it has come back...

Causes we thought we had identified and subsequently eliminated/removed: freshly painted egg storage hut, earth powder, farmer spraying fields neighbouring field, home mix feed with molasses etc, mite powder mixed into dust baths.... But it has come back so must be something else !!!

Any experience/ suggestions please?!?!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Welcome to the site. We're glad you joined. Please reread the question and see if someone else could know what you mean.
    I don't mean to be flippant but this is a hard one and I've seen similar questions about taste and smell of fresh eggs lately. We really like to help people solve their problems here but to begin, please spell it out. What is TCP an acronym for? There are probably 50 possibilities.
    transformer coupled plasma
    tricresyl phosphate
    trichlorophenol
    toxin coregulated pilus
    telephony control protocol
    transmission control protocol
    trichloropropane
    thermal conversion process
    Taiwan Communist party
    the clergy project

dawg53 likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Taiwan Communist party lol? No commies allowed!

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, they might make the eggs smell pretty bad. But at least we'd get to the bottom of the issue if that were it.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is not really an answer to your problem, but I used to dislike eggs cooked in one of the big national restaurant chains that serve breakfast meals. It did not matter which one in our area, but all of their eggs tasted bad. Finally, I realized that it was the oil they were cooked in, since it is probably the same in each of the restaurants. So that might be something to consider. I find that canola oil is the most neutral of oils in which to cook most foods. For eggs, I use real butter.

ChickenCanoe and Muncy89 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: