Tea for chickens?

My husband's family is from Italy and she has always given her chickens Chamomile Tea because it is a natural herb and a relaxant. She thinks I'm crazy with all the pampering I do with my chickens.........that does not go on with her flock. They are only existing to lay eggs and when that ends, so do they and you will see them being served at the table.

I grow Chamomile and have offered it to my chickens in the green form and they are not really crazy about it........they will pick at it but definitely not one of their favorites. I have added it to their water, but don't do it often!

I would be extremely nervous about giving chickens anything that might contain caffeine or other stimulants. They are not humans, and we don't know how their bodies will react to different chemicals (look at dogs and chocolate, for example).

I would also be careful about putting anything in their water. You don't want to inhibit them from drinking water! which might very well happen if they don't like the taste, or feel that it is not a good thing. Please give them water only! or at least a choice.

Quote:
Absolutely -- they would always have a choice between regular water and the tea, if I offered it to them. I would also stick with caffeine-free.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Now there's a scary mental image.....

My girls get heir own bowl of oatmeal with plain yogurt every morning.
And since it is just me here, so very few veggie scraps, I buy them their own greens.
This week it is collards.
I also baked them a sweet potato and served it warm.
Spoiled much?

Blue Rooster is 7 and has been having his tea since 2009 when I'm there to give it to him. It has never adversely affected any of the hens or roosters. They have so many water containers to choose from if they don't like tea they don't have to drink it.

In South Africa we have a wonderful indigenous herbal tea called Rooibos, Afrikaans for Red bush. It has 0% caffeine and is filled with vitamins, minerals and anti oxidants. It has been shown that when given to quills they are bigger and stronger. I make it for my hens once or twice a week and they love it. Plus it tastes AWESOME and is super healthy for humans too!

Back
Top Bottom