Tea Time.... Relax with us and have a cup of hot tea!

No, I don't process my chickens. I have them just for the eggs. I've never processed anything because I am a big chicken
D.gif

3goodeggs, you could try using coconut sugar for baking and see how it fares compared to regular sugar. I keep experimenting with different types of flour. I have used coconut flour on my cornmeal cake and it tasted delicious. I've never used coconut sugar on anything.

This is a beautiful plant! I bet it grows around here in a pot. But then I would have to bring it in in the fall. A couple I know planted a tangerine tree in a big vase. They keep it outside in the summer and bring it in in the fall. They have enjoyed some good fruit from that tree. I wish my house would accommodate a mango tree
wink.png

I feel ya. I don't think I'd be able to do it as an adult, if I hadn't grown up with it as a kid.

My son keeps saying that if we dug down in one of the greenhouses and walled the sides so that we had a recess, we might be able to fit a mango tree in the large green house.

That seemed like a ridiculous idea for a long time, but now I am thinking it makes more sense than growing plants that don't sell.

They are huge trees. I do not know if they have dwarf root stock for mangoes, but if they did... Yes sir, we'd grow mangoes! I love them.

We are growing all of our citrus in big pots in one of the big houses. There is something called citrus greening down here, eventually, that will be the only place citrus will be able to be grown.

I've lived in Fla all my life. I can't imagine you needing to put a Mango tree in a greenhouse in Central Fla, even North Cen Fla.

I have never seen them grown above Palm Beach.
They are very cold sensitive.

Temperature Requirements

Mango trees require consistent warm temperatures. They don't tolerate long-term frost or cold conditions. If temperatures drop below 40 degrees F, even for short periods, the cold may kill both flowers and small fruits. Mature trees may be more capable of surviving colder temperatures, as low as 25 degrees F, but only for brief periods. Young trees are likely to suffer severe damage any time temperatures drop below 30 degrees, even if only briefly. Mango trees are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture zones 10 and 11.

and there is a dwarf variety!

Container-Suited Varieties

Mangifera indica "Irwin" is a dwarf cultivar that is named for the first man to plant it in southern Florida, F.D. Irwin. He planted the first tree in 1939, and it didn't produce any fruit until six years later, in 1945. Since then, the "Irwin" cultivar has become the best-selling mango tree in the Florida mango tree market. Because it is a dwarf cultivar, it is well-suited to growth in containers. It is a variety that consistently yields large crops of sweet-tasting fruits with a pleasant texture. Mango trees produce the most fruit between the end of June and July. Leaf growth, flowering and fruit production are affected by temperatures that drop below 40 degrees F. Growth of young trees suffers the most when temperatures are too cold. Because the "Irwin" mango is small enough to grow in large containers, people who don't live in USDA hardiness zones 10 or 11 can grow this cultivar at home. Bring it inside before the temperatures get too cold. "Irwin" mango needs full sun and well-drained moist but not wet soil that is loose enough for air circulation.

I have never seen them grown above Palm Beach.
They are very cold sensitive.

Temperature Requirements

Mango trees require consistent warm temperatures. They don't tolerate long-term frost or cold conditions. If temperatures drop below 40 degrees F, even for short periods, the cold may kill both flowers and small fruits. Mature trees may be more capable of surviving colder temperatures, as low as 25 degrees F, but only for brief periods. Young trees are likely to suffer severe damage any time temperatures drop below 30 degrees, even if only briefly. Mango trees are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture zones 10 and 11.

and there is a dwarf variety!

Container-Suited Varieties

Mangifera indica "Irwin" is a dwarf cultivar that is named for the first man to plant it in southern Florida, F.D. Irwin. He planted the first tree in 1939, and it didn't produce any fruit until six years later, in 1945. Since then, the "Irwin" cultivar has become the best-selling mango tree in the Florida mango tree market. Because it is a dwarf cultivar, it is well-suited to growth in containers. It is a variety that consistently yields large crops of sweet-tasting fruits with a pleasant texture. Mango trees produce the most fruit between the end of June and July. Leaf growth, flowering and fruit production are affected by temperatures that drop below 40 degrees F. Growth of young trees suffers the most when temperatures are too cold. Because the "Irwin" mango is small enough to grow in large containers, people who don't live in USDA hardiness zones 10 or 11 can grow this cultivar at home. Bring it inside before the temperatures get too cold. "Irwin" mango needs full sun and well-drained moist but not wet soil that is loose enough for air circulation.

You know what? I feel like an idiot. I was thinking of Avacados, not Mangoes.
th.gif
and
hide.gif

I don't like either one.

My avocado tree was about 40 feet tall before it froze. It lasted about ten year in north Fla.
but never fruit, because I think ? they need two trees for pollination? does that sound right?
There was an avocado tree behind Hume hall on the UF campus.
I do not know if it is still there, last time I saw it was 25 years ago.
wow. I got old.

When we lived in Ft Lauderdale our back yard was full of mango trees and an avocado.
It was the only thing I liked about living there.

My avocado tree was about 40 feet tall before it froze. It lasted about ten year in north Fla.
but never fruit, because I think ? they need two trees for pollination? does that sound right?
There was an avocado tree behind Hume hall on the UF campus.
I do not know if it is still there, last time I saw it was 25 years ago.
wow. I got old.

When we lived in Ft Lauderdale our back yard was full of mango trees and an avocado.
It was the only thing I liked about living there.

IDK, but some trees do need male and female to pollenate and fruit.

Yeah, my g-parents had an orange, lemon, and either lime or tangerine (I don't remember which) in their back yard when we lived in No. Miami. I was seven when we left, so all I remember was feeding my brother the Lantana berries. Bad I know now, but we were playing house and I was the mommy (of course) and (logically) he had to be the baby, so I told him he had to eat his peas (which I used Lantana berries for.
hide.gif

ep.gif
did he get sick?
Bleeeeck. They smell awful.
I assume they taste as badly.
I doubt he ate too many peas.
tongue.png

I don't remember. I wasn't a good big sister.
hide.gif

I don't remember that either. We have a few Lantana plants here, but they don't grow well this far north; they die back in the winter, unlike miami where they thrive year round as if they're evergreens, silly plants don't know when to quit. lol
I'm sure.
Nope, that kid would eat anything!!!!! He didn't care what it was, what color it was, what it tasted like, whether it was food,... if he could catch it, he would eat it. Needless to say, I learned how to hide well since I couldn't run fast. Nah, just kidding. My brain is shutting down b/c I just finished my final exams. It thinks it's funny when it gets like this (you know, like mush).
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

caf.gif

Congratulations on finishing your Exams!!

My son is on his last senior semester, and I think he is getting slappy too.
I just think everyday that he is one day closer to leaving home and I get sad.

What good news, 3goodeggs!! A mango tree that can grow in a pot!!! I wonder what variety it is. I want one!! I remember seeing a lot of avocado trees abroad that yielded huge avocados, but never a lone tree. I haven't heard of a male and female tree, but I'll look into it. I know that some species of papaya need male and female to produce fruit.
IKR, it's hard to watch our children grow up and leave the nest. But it is also so beautiful to see them spread their wings and find their place in the world.

Tea, I'm happy for you that now you can relax a bit after your exams. Hope you did very well!

I too had a long day. I need to rest.

Good night all!

Back
Top Bottom