??? TEA TREE OIL ???

hannahwren

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Does any one know if tea tree oil is safe for chickens? I have used it on puppies for fleas and ticks. . . would it work as a preventive measure for lice an mites?? If safe. . . . Just Asking.

Hmm, I have used it on a puppy just around the back of the neck and base of the tail, within 20 sec. they were gone or dead. Poor thing had come ovHome
How to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally

Edited byTeresa and 17 others

Close up of a flea​
If you've noticed that you are getting more and more fleas around the house, but don't want chemicals on your pet or in your abode, here are some less harsh ways to combat fleas.
Ads by Google
Terminix - Official Site

Get A Free Pest Inspection. Start Saving Today. Guaranteed Solutions!
Terminix.com

Edit
Steps​

Clean Your House

1. 1​
    Throw all of the pet bedding in the washing machine. This includes anything that the pets like to regularly lie or sleep on which isn't always intended to serve as pet bedding. If the bedding can go in the dryer, 15 or 20 minutes in a hot dryer will kill adults, larvae and eggs.
    Ads by Google
    Terminix Flea Treatment

$50 Off Terminix
    00ae.png
    Flea Control. Call today! 855-860-9137
    www.TerminixPestControlOffers.com
  2. 2​
    Vacuum everywhere. You should especially do this in areas that don't get much exposure to sunlight (fleas like humid and cool spots), anywhere that you find dried blood and feces (flea debris), and upholstered furniture. Before vacuuming the carpets, sprinkle salt, Borax or baking soda throughout. Work it into the base of the carpet with a broom. Let it sit for a few hours; all of these powders will cause the flea eggs that are tucked deep into the carpet to dry out.
    • Don't let your pets walk on the carpet during this time, since they might get some stuff on their paws and lick it off, causing them to get sick. If there's a chance the pet will walk on the carpet, use baking soda and be thorough when working it into the base of the carpet so it doesn't sit on the surface and get on your pet's paws.
    • When the vacuum bag is full, seal it in a plastic trash bag and put it in a covered trash container, preferably outside. Otherwise, the little buggers can crawl out and make themselves cozy again.
  3. 3​
    Clean any outdoor areas where your pet might hang out. Trim lawns and weeds and expose any cool, moist dark spots (which fleas love) to sunlight, or keep your pet away from those spots.
Clean Your Pet

1. 1​
    Give your pet a bath. Use any gentle shampoo. Wash the neck first so that the fleas don't jump up to the head during the bath. Be thorough because you'll probably see several fleas come off and float around in the water.
  2. 2​
    Make your own herbal flea dip. Take two cups of fresh rosemary leaves and add them to two pints of water. Boil for thirty minutes. Strain the liquid, discard the leaves and mix it with up to a gallon of warm water. Pour this over your pet until saturated. Do not rinse off, but allow your pet to air dry.
    • This is something to do on a hot day only. Also add 2 to 3 drops of the lemon mixture under your pet's collar to help keep fleas off.
  3. 3​
    Use a flea comb. After your pet is dry, use a flea comb that is specifically designed to remove fleas in order to get rid of stubborn ones that remain. Use the brush all over their skin.
  4. 4​
    Make a flea collar. Take the pet's collar or neckerchief and put on drops of eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil , citronella, lavender, or geranium. This will need to be done weekly.[1]
    • Note!: Do not use essential oils on cats! While cats are extremely sensitive to eucalyptus and tea tree oils, a cat's ability to metabolize any essential oils inhaled, ingested or absorbed through skin is considered to be weak and there is always a risk of overloading a cat's system.
er for a play date, an I freaked out. . . never having fleas before and not wanting to start then! So looked up natural flea stuff. . . .

I don't think I would use tea tree on a bird. Dogs can handle it diluted. Even diluted, many cats have bad reactions. Birds are sensitive. Maybe call an avian vet and ask, but I wouldn't use any essential oils on a bird without knowing first if it were safe.

Thanks, Just thought I would ask. . . I have not had any problems so far. I keep a tub of ash in the coop, so every now and again I go out an I have a whole coop full of "Dusty Gray" girls an boys. ;) I bought all my chickens as adults, started last Sept. with 3 blk, 2 blue, &2 white Bantam Cochins. We made it threw to early spring together, then I built them a larger coop, we had them in two smaller coops from Atwoods, Once the coop was finished we added 6 newbies, all different breeds of bantams, adults also. Two had a few dark, stuck out scales on their legs, so I read a lil and found out it could of been from mites, hince the ash tub. I also coated their legs in vaseline for a few days. Did the same with VetRx. Now. . . the question " Is " Do the scales ever look normal again???

Thanks, Just thought I would ask. . . I have not had any problems so far. I keep a tub of ash in the coop, so every now and again I go out an I have a whole coop full of "Dusty Gray" girls an boys. ;) I bought all my chickens as adults, started last Sept. with 3 blk, 2 blue, &2 white Bantam Cochins. We made it threw to early spring together, then I built them a larger coop, we had them in two smaller coops from Atwoods, Once the coop was finished we added 6 newbies, all different breeds of bantams, adults also. Two had a few dark, stuck out scales on their legs, so I read a lil and found out it could of been from mites, hince the ash tub. I also coated their legs in vaseline for a few days. Did the same with VetRx. Now. . . the question " Is " Do the scales ever look normal again???

That I don't know...I am new to chickens as well. I do know Diatomaceous Earth can be helpful for preventing mites. I've been mixing it in with
my shavings when I clean out the coop. I sprinkle a layer of the DE, then a layer of shavings and a bit more DE on top. My guy looked over each chicken we got carefully for mites and lice when we bought them. I haven't had any poultry with lice or mites yet...so I'm not sure if the scales return to normal or not.

Back
Top Bottom