TeaChick's Chicks

Beautiful flock, TeaChick! I'd love to have a breeding flock, and sell the birds, but I'm not sure how to do that, or if I have enough room. So I'll just watch you. :p

Thank you very much!!! =)

:p yourself. IDK what I'm doing. I'm just winging it.
I have room, my problem is building materials and tools; I'm very limited on both.

January 7, 2013:
Oops! Looks like I forgot yesterday.
hide.gif

Yesterday's egg count: 5 (two white; three brown)
Today (so far): 6 (three of each)
I discovered that my pink eggs are coming from Caramel.

I've walked in immediately after Caramel and Sandy laying, so I know that Caramel lays the mauve eggs (pink) and Sandy lays the darkest eggs. I'm reasonably sure that Goldie lays the light (almost yellow-ish) eggs. That leaves Chocolate and the speckled eggs.
cool.png
(very proud of myself lol)

Obviously, since all the eggs and all the hens look alike, there's no way for me to know which Leghorn lays which egg.
gig.gif

Anyway, I'm looking at setting eggs sometime around the 19th, give or take.
jumpy.gif

That'll give my chicks by mid-Feb.
Pullets should start laying around June.
Anyone know when to cull cockerels?
I will then set eggs every three weeks (give or take), depending on production and consumption.
droolin.gif

Last edited:
January 10, 2014:
Wow! I'm behind, huh?
hide.gif

Egg count for the 7th didn't change.
8th: Everybody (but Snoodle) laid for me, so 7 (three white and four brown)
9th: 4 (two of each)
10th: Everybody laid again.

Beginning yesterday, I am saving all my Comet eggs for hatching. I'll see how many I get and then fill in with Leghorn eggs or just save them for the last two days; IDK.
Having Leghorn hens helps when I want to breed chickens who lay brown eggs, b/c then I know who's laying what.
My plan is to begin incubating around the 25th, then to clean up the incubator and get it warmed up for the next hatch and then do it over and over until I have the layers and dinners that I want for the year.
Then I can just crank up the 'bator when I want more chickens.

Additionally, I'm going to be getting three young chickens next weekend, a rooster and two pullets. They're Silver-Laced Wayndotte, except that one of the pullets is half Buff Orpington, which is great for me, b/c she'll probably go broody!!! =D
jumpy.gif

Any pullets that my broodies hatch out will automatically go into my laying flock.
Any cockerels will go into a boys club waiting to become dinner.
I will see about selling/sharing the chicks that I hatch in the incubator.
I also hope to be able to sell eggs; I'm thinking of charging $2.50 a doz and $3.50 for 18-ct, but I haven't decided for sure yet.

We'll see how everything pans out, but this is where my plans are currently.
pop.gif

Edited to change the color so it can be read.
hide.gif

Last edited:
January 11, 2014:
egg count: 6 (four brown, two white)

I spoke to a friend of mine this afternoon and she told me where I can sell eggs and chicks and even dressed chickens.

I forgot to mention that I'm hoping to hatch turkeys in the spring too. I want us to raise our own Thanksgiving turkey this year!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom