TeaChick's Chicks

TSC had Cochin chicks this morning, so I got some!!! Here are my little fuzz butts:

These are them; it's hard to see the dark colors on their backs.

This is a bit better of a picture. The paper with them said Partridge and Barred; does anyone know which one these are?

Here's a picture to show their size. This one is standing a little in front of a 6 oz yogurt container. The yogurt cup is about 2" high, and the chicks are about 2.5". I'm not sure they're all of one day old, but I think they're banties. Can anyone else tell?

Here are more pics!!!
The bin they were in was labeled Partridge and Barred. The guy wrote "partridge" on the box, but he didn't know anything about them, so I'm not holding my breath that he just happened to be right.
Anything that anyone can tell me about color and gender would be greatly appreciated.

And here's a pic of the chick that hatched out of a white Leghorn egg in chipmunk stripes:
Any opinions, guesses, knowledge, etc. would be most appreciated!!!

Well, it looks like the chicks are either buff or (more likely) splash.

I have (good) pics of Snoodles first two eggs!!!

The brow one is from Chocolate (my darkest Comet lays the lightest eggs), the pink one is from Goldie, and the white one is from one of my Leghorn hens.
Snoodles are light cream with a pinkish hue.
There is a good bit of blood on the first one and a little smidge on the second, so I think these are her first eggs. =D I don't think she was hiding any and she might have laid in the nesting boxes w/ everyone else if I hadn't cooped her (but ya just can't be sure what Snoodle is thinking, and I assure you she is definitely thinking).
Anyway, I hope she goes broody; I'm leaving her eggs in the nest for a week at a time, then I'll have to start bringing them in. I might overlap a hatch of her eggs with the hatch I'm doing right now.

I'm going to move Snoodle and her nesting bucket to the main coop after dark tonight. I've been letting her out to free range with the others on the days she's laid me an egg, they're all getting along well still.
I need the juvenile pen for my ... well, for my juveniles. The ones I'm calling my "big chicks" need the juvenile pen, and my new Cochin chicks need the brooder, so I need Snoodle in the main coop, so I know she's safe.
I can't put Marty in the main coop with Eddie, so I'm going to get him and put him on the porch at night; I'll put him on the blankets where the girls sometimes lay.

Oh, and I had a thing the night before last.
There was a ruckus in the main coop way after dark.
(Snoodle and Marty were in the juvenile pen and the chicks were in the brooder [no Cochin chicks yet], and Eddie and the six laying hens were in the main coop).
DH went out to check things out and found a Comet standing on a Leghorn. (He doesn't know them apart, so IDK which Comet it was.)
The Leghorn was Cottontail. She had a tear in the back of her comb. I put some coconut oil on it and set her on the blankets to sleep.
I tried yesterday to get a good picture of the wound, but I couldn't. Not one is really messing with her, so I'll let her stay in the main coop tonight and just keep a good ear out for any ruckus.

Hope all is well with all your chickens!!!!

Oh, and I get to candle my eggs tonight!!! =D
And "ugh!" about DST!!! ;)

Yeah!
big_smile.png
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom