TeaChick's Chicks

At the risk of sounding redundant, I have lost more chickens. I'm so irritated!!!

I lost my Buff Laced Polish (Buffy), one of my Golden Campine pullets, two NH pullets, and one Cochin (he was a cockerel, so I'm not as upset about him, but he had a name somehow; I keep telling the kids to stop naming my chickens, but they aren't listening, ugh).

Sky, my broody, got off her nest several days ago, and she has only been setting on 8 of the eggs and those she has off to the side with all the hay piled up in one end of the nest box. So I sifted through the hay and found three eggs and a wet spot at the bottom, where apparently two of the eggs met a not-so-happy ending. It looks like she moved all the eggs out of the hay and piled it on top of the eggs that got broken, but three of them got mixed in with the hay. I candled those three and they were clears. Stupid me, I thought she was setting the eggs w/o the hay b/c of the heat. Anyway, I'm still hoping for 8 healthy, fluffy NH chicks to start hatching out this weekend some time. I'll try to get pics and I'll post them ASAP.

So, there are 38-5=33 chickens on property...
33 - 5 (DD's OEGB) = 28 - 1 (DS's mutt hatchling) = 27 / 2 (b/c half of "my" chickens belong to DS too) = 13.5, but you can't have half a chicken, so 13, and that's basically a dozen, which is 12, which rounds down to 10 (that's what they said on "Odd Squad" today), so I've got ten chickens.

I updated my count, b/c we changed what we're doing in the evenings. I was finding chicks missing when I went to lock up the coops at night (the other night, I thought I had lost two chicks again, but my idiot, I mean Leghorn, was in the wrong coop).
Now, DD and I go out early and call the chickens in from the woods and then start putting feed in the coops, catch the ones that get into the wrong coop and put them in the right coop, and then lock everyone up for the night. Oh, I forgot chasing my idiot Cochin pullets around until they go in their coop, b/c they're too dumb to follow everyone else into the safety of the coop, and...well, anyway. We lock them up all safe and sound for the night.

Oh, and my egg production had dropped to about 1-2 eggs out of 15 layers.
ep.gif
and
barnie.gif
and
somad.gif
and a little
he.gif
I was getting like 12 a day easy. Now it's hot and there's been the predation problem and I know worms can cause them to stop laying, so...I wormed and all and hopefully they'll be laying more soon.
Except that the Wazine says not to eat their eggs, but it doesn't say how long, so I've got to find that out.

My goodness you poor thing! How frustrating! I can't believe you're still losing birds! Can you fence the woods so they can't go in there? I wish you were closer, I would loan you my Pyrenees. We lost one bird while she was being trained, she was just a pup and the silly bird flew out of her jurisdiction, but since then we've me not lost a bird. I hope you can get this predation problem under control! It's so hard to lose them.

My goodness you poor thing! How frustrating! I can't believe you're still losing birds! Can you fence the woods so they can't go in there? I wish you were closer, I would loan you my Pyrenees. We lost one bird while she was being trained, she was just a pup and the silly bird flew out of her jurisdiction, but since then we've me not lost a bird. I hope you can get this predation problem under control! It's so hard to lose them.

DD and I have been baiting them into their coops early, and we haven't lost any the past two nights since we started doing that.
Hopefully, the predator figures out that it's not getting a free meal here anymore and doesn't come back anymore.
There isn't really any way to fence off the woods. But it looks like we've got it under control for now anyway.

DD and I have been baiting them into their coops early, and we haven't lost any the past two nights since we started doing that.
Hopefully, the predator figures out that it's not getting a free meal here anymore and doesn't come back anymore.
There isn't really any way to fence off the woods.  But it looks like we've got it under control for now anyway.

Well that's good! I'm glad you found a solution. It's so hard to lose chickens. I take personal offense when they get taken by a predator.

Sky broke her last egg. I don't know whether she ate the last two or what; there was some wetness under where the shell was, but I'm not sure if it was "enough" to account for the the entire content of the egg. She might have eaten the chick? When I candled the last eight, four of them were duds, but there was veins and/or movement in the other four. IDK. The world may never know.

This is my second experience w/ a broody (things went worse w/ Snoodle). I sure hope this broody stuff gets better!!! I have to wonder what I'm doing wrong when I read all these success stories about broodies. =(

I will get an incubator, and then I won't have to depend solely on broodies. But I really want broodies so I don't have to depend solely on the incubator(s) either. We'll see, I guess.

PS:
@OnlyOrps , great new avi!!!

Sky broke her last egg.  I don't know whether she ate the last two or what; there was some wetness under where the shell was, but I'm not sure if it was "enough" to account for the the entire content of the egg.  She might have eaten the chick?  When I candled the last eight, four of them were duds, but there was veins and/or movement in the other four.  IDK.  The world may never know.

This is my second experience w/ a broody (things went worse w/ Snoodle).  I sure hope this broody stuff gets better!!!  I have to wonder what I'm doing wrong when I read all these success stories about broodies. =(

I will get an incubator, and then I won't have to depend solely on broodies.  But I really want broodies so I don't have to depend solely on the incubator(s) either.  We'll see, I guess.

PS:
@OnlyOrps
, great new avi!!!

man, that's a huge bummer! I had a broody once and out of 18 eggs she only hatched 2. She broke 2 also. I didn't consider if she ate them. I'm right there with you! I tried incubating before and failed miserably every time. It's a huge bummer. Then I read all these success stories and I'm so perplexed as to what I do wrong... I hope she hatches another clutch for you without fail! Thanks! That's my rooster, Rambo
1f609.png

Last edited:
man, that's a huge bummer! I had a broody once and out of 18 eggs she only hatched 2. She broke 2 also. I didn't consider if she ate them. I'm right there with you! I tried incubating before and failed miserably every time. It's a huge bummer. Then I read all these success stories and I'm so perplexed as to what I do wrong... I hope she hatches another clutch for you without fail! Thanks! That's my rooster, Rambo
1f609.png

Yeah.
Thanks! =)
He's beautiful!!!

My incubating has failed b/c I've used homemade ones so far. I'm going to get a factory one next. Hopefully I'm able to keep my two Cochin pullets through adulthood!!! =)

Well, I have actual news to report (besides losing chickens):

I have two broody hens!!! I'm super excited. They've stuck with it and I expect for something to at least start hatching by the end of next weekend. I forgot to mark it on the calendar, so I don't know exactly when they're due, but I know it's right in the middle of the month.
One of them was on 12 eggs and the other was on 7 (she started out on one, and six was all I could scrounge up for her in a day). So, hopefully we'll have 19 little fuzz butts running around the coop after next weekend. We'll see.

I'll see about getting pics and I'll post updates as I have them. =)

More good news:
I expect 3 of my pullets to start laying this month, and another one that should start laying before the cool weather.

Bad news:
I'm down to 26 chickens (I think)...2 cocks + 11 NH hens + 3 Comet hens + 9 pullets = Nope, 25...maybe I was still counting the hen I lost a few weeks ago. Probably.
She just didn't show up one evening and we haven't seen her since. Of course, I'm hoping to see her come out of the woods w/ a brood of chicks, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, that's all of The News from the Coop.
You all take care of yourselves and each other!!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom