TeaChick's Chicks

YW! Blues and blacks sound nice. I would get a big variety if I could. IDK if any of my neighbors want chickens, and I highly doubt I will ever move out into the country ever. No matter how much I WANT TO.
Thanks. =) I'm looking forward to them!
I see. We all need dreams (even if we know they're highly unlikely). Mine is to travel around the country in a big RV and see things like the Grand Canyon and Old Faithful and all kinds of things I've never seen b/c I've lived in one state all my life and I haven't gone very far in any direction. Eh, such is life. =)

How are the chickens coming? Have you got any new ones?

They're doing pretty well. I've been busy with school, so I haven't been about to post. I had to cull my blue polish bc she turned out to be a he. :(
One of my Cochin pullets is sick, she was also getting bullied in the NH coop, so I have her and her sister and Cotton Brain (my Exchequer Leghorn) in the brooder right now, they're on Corid until tomorrow. The healthy Cochin free ranges with everyone else but the other two stay in the brooder all day. It's plenty large enough for them but I wish they'd get better!
I have chicks coming this week. I changed my chick order again. I'm getting Black Penedesenca. The three girls who've been rooming in the brooder will have to start free ranging from one of the small plastic brooders when the chicks arrive, so I hope they're a lot better in the next couple of days.
I think that brings things up to date.

How are things going with you and your chickens?

I may gave been having trouble before in responding as I thought I had replied. The girls are doing good.
They're doing pretty well. I've been busy with school, so I haven't been about to post. I had to cull my blue polish bc she turned out to be a he. :(
One of my Cochin pullets is sick, she was also getting bullied in the NH coop, so I have her and her sister and Cotton Brain (my Exchequer Leghorn) in the brooder right now, they're on Corid until tomorrow. The healthy Cochin free ranges with everyone else but the other two stay in the brooder all day. It's plenty large enough for them but I wish they'd get better!
I have chicks coming this week. I changed my chick order again. I'm getting Black Penedesenca. The three girls who've been rooming in the brooder will have to start free ranging from one of the small plastic brooders when the chicks arrive, so I hope they're a lot better in the next couple of days.
I think that brings things up to date.

How are things going with you and your chickens?

Okay, my update:

I have about half a dozen grown NH hens and one rooster (Little Boy). I don't think I posted that Picard was killed by a predator when we were gone one day. :(

I have only one of my original flock left; Chocolate was one of my original Golden Comets. I posted when I lost Snoodle, and Cotton Tail was the last of my WL hens to go; she just turned up dead one day, she was old as hatchery Leghorn laying hens go.

I have one of the dozen red laying pullets we bought last Valentine's Day. Three turned out to be cockerels, most of the pullets died from some illness......I don't think we lost any of them to predation. So, the last one is named Cocoa b/c she started laying, so she's earned a name. (not that the children adhere to that policy)
roll.png

The only one of my rare breed pullets that I have left is one of the Partridge Cochin pullets. She started laying, and I named her "Girlie". She went broody last month and hatched 3 chicks. I took the eggs from her on the third day after the first one hatched and candled them. One looked good, one looked like a late quitter, and the rest were clears. I put the good one in the incubator (DH bought me an incubator!!!) in place of the one clear I'd had in that batch. The next morning, I went to toss the clears and quitter and it looks like the one I thought was a quitter wasn't. :(
We looked at those chicks today and, at one week, the one that hatched in here looks like it's definitely a cockerel, and the other three look very much like pullets. One of the (hopefully) pullets has feathered legs (so it's part Cochin b/c that's the only feather-legged breed I have) and the other three are (almost definitely) NH. It's possible that one or more might be from Cocoa, but it doesn't look like it.

Emma's chicks are big; they're almost as big as the grown NHs. They were 3 cockerels and one pullet; I don't think she's started laying yet. We had to cull one of the cockerels last week. They're really doing a number on my hens, so I started (tonight) putting the second cockerel on the wood pile; he can fend for himself. Ultimately, we'll have the one pullet and one of the cockerels. Hopefully, Emma will go broody again in the spring.

We ordered a bunch of Black Australorps (a few male and a bunch of females; we lost one of the males in the first week, but that's all the losses there) and a few Barred Rock pullets (one turned out to be a cockerel, but I'm cool with that b/c I'll be able to breed them). My original purpose in the Barred Rocks was to make my own sex-links (always fun to play w/ our chicken genetics, like crossing NH over Cochin, right? lol)
The extra chick we got was a red sex-link. DS asked if he could have her b/c she's brown, and he named her Peanut Butter, b/c (he said) she's the color of peanut butter. No one else saw it, but she's brown so we figured he really wanted to name a chicken Peanut Butter and so she was close enough for him. :)

I think that covers all the chickens. :)

How are things going for you all??? I've been missing everyone!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom