Teaching a puppy recall (and other questions)

I hated using treats. I hated using negative reinforcement. I hated using pure clicker training.

Turns out that just like what Geena says, it all depends on the dog and what it will respond to.

My first GSD responded extremely well to clicker training. She had a sensitive tummy and treats were a no-go; at that time I never even considered negative reinforcement. I stopped at the point where I could put her in a sit-stay-eyes at the very busy dog park and she wouldn't budge until I said OK. She died very young (she was 6) and I swore I'd never get another dog; 6 years later I rescued a BC from my abusive neighbor, and couldn't fathom the thought of negative reinforcement for him. Border Collies are notoriously intelligent -- this one never responded to treats or clicker, but boy did the collar work wonders. He's right beside me as I type. He'll stay after placing up on a fire hydrant until released; he's also pretty good at flyball.

My point is, a happy, well adjusted, well-trained dog is a commitment, not unlike children. Each one is different and requires a different approach to achieve a good outcome. Don't limit your choices out of hand.

Oh, and might I suggest a Terrier? Not the big kind; the smaller breeds. I sheltered one- it was a Cairn/Highland mix- for a while, it was a stray that almost literally knocked on my door one day. He stayed with me for about 6 months until it was clear my BC was not OK with it (he went to my neighbors). Boy that little dog had some heart!!! Killed a breeding pair of possums, chased away a momma skunk & her young'uns (got sprayed a couple times in the process), and helped get rid of a pair of moles in my backyard (used to live in upstate California).
I haven’t found a breed of terrier I like the look of yet, thank you for the suggestion:)

Have you considered taking a basic obedience training course. For a variety of reasons it is a good idea.
I might if I can find a good one when I get a puppy, which probably will only be when we move in to the country side which means there probably won’t really be any around:hmm. I will see when the time comes

Thank you.

Thats why I am thinking schipperke might not be correct for me, the thing that confuses me is that the breed club does not mention them not being able to be let off lead and people use them to do obedience and agility, which I presume would need them to be able to be let off lead right?

:hugsI just wanted to say I saw nothing wrong with what you said.

A schipperke might be a good fit for you. Honestly, I don't know that much about them as they are fairly rare in the US. I would get in touch with some breeders or even pet owners and see if they can answer your questions, and perhaps allow you visit and get to know more about them.

A schipperke might be a good fit for you. Honestly, I don't know that much about them as they are fairly rare in the US. I would get in touch with some breeders or even pet owners and see if they can answer your questions, and perhaps allow you visit and get to know more about them.
I was planning to see if I can find some people who own them at crufts, when I can go to crufts :( hopefully next year I can go.

I will be bringing a golden retriever puppy home whenever the breeder has their next litter ready. My parents will be doing much of the training, but I am determined to help (also allowed to, it's not like i"m being sneaky or anything lol). I was wondering how early you can start teaching commands? Assuming we bring pupper home at 8-10 weeks old.

I will be bringing a golden retriever puppy home whenever the breeder has their next litter ready. My parents will be doing much of the training, but I am determined to help (also allowed to, it's not like i"m being sneaky or anything lol). I was wondering how early you can start teaching commands? Assuming we bring pupper home at 8-10 weeks old.

Depends on what commands.
Some are great to start on the very first day.

For example, if you want to have a command for the dog to "go pee," say it every time the dog goes, and then tell them what a good puppy they are after they finish.

If the puppy is supposed to stay off the furniture, and it jumps on the bed, say "no" as you lift it off.

If the puppy is going to sleep in a crate, say "kennel" as you lift it in for naptime (or whatever word will eventually mean "go in there.")

In all those examples, you are using the word you want the puppy to learn, but you are not expecting the puppy to obey it yet. The puppy is just hearing the sound at the same time something happens, so it starts to associate the word with what is happening (peeing, stopping what it was doing, going into the crate.) It's a first step, and you will expand it as the puppy gets older.

You don't want to overdo it on "training" right at first, because the puppy will still be a baby who needs lots of playing and lots of rest and has a short attention span.

Back
Top Bottom