Teaching chickens to go in at night on their own

SunnyDayz

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Sunny FL
So my roos started crowing a week or so ago. They crow all.day.long. They know what room in the house that I am in, and go right to the window and 'call' me... is this weird?? I was in the office and they knew it. The bathroom? Yup, right outside the window!
lol.png

What I want to know is, will they ever learn to go in the coop on their own at night? They crow and crow until I put them up around 8 every night. I keep thinking that I should wait until dark and see what they do, but I never get that far. I always end up leading them in right before dark becasue of they wait outside the porch and call me, lol.

Is there some way I can get them to go in by themselves?

Make sure your feeding where they roost up at night...If you can, depending on the weather temp, leave them in the coop for a couple days this will help them understand this is "home" and not your front porch.....Come dusk i go out and shut the door to my chicken house and no chasing around the yard to get them up for the night...Good Luck!

i agree - a couple days in the coup should fix things! I had the same problem and I put my hens in the coup for a couple of days and now they do all the work for me!!!

Back
Top Bottom