teaching chickens to use their ramp, tricks?

I think it's too steep.....

But put something under the low end of it to easily reduce steepness, I use a concrete block set tall, not sure how high silkies can jump.

This is what we did. They couldn't seem to work out the ramp when little so put a block under it to reduce the slope. When they were bigger we just took it out again. Honestly though they still don't use the actual ramp much, they just jump up to the door now.

Last edited:
Agreed on the steps being too spaced out. I think I'm going to just make another ramp. I used 2x1 and I think I should use a ton of 1x1s. Looks like I need to make a lowes trip as well.

Last edited:
Silkies can jump rather high when they want to. They choose to stay at ground level.
I think your birds are probably not used to the coop/ramp, and you'll just have to consistently show and encourage them to go up until they get it. Coop light and treats an aid as well. Even if your rungs are spaced closer, you'll find you'll have to do this.

I have one older Buff Orpington who's not going in at night to her new coop, and I'm sure she just hasn't figured it out yet.
When I place her on the ramp, she does go in. Chickens can be unexpectedly smart in some regards, but they can be slow in deducing new things. You showing them consistently makes it a habit.

Silkies can jump rather high when they want to. They choose to stay at ground level.
I think your birds are probably not used to the coop/ramp, and you'll just have to consistently show and encourage them to go up until they get it. Coop light and treats an aid as well. Even if your rungs are spaced closer, you'll find you'll have to do this.

I have one older Buff Orpington who's not going in at night to her new coop, and I'm sure she just hasn't figured it out yet.
When I place her on the ramp, she does go in. Chickens can be unexpectedly smart in some regards, but they can be slow in deducing new things. You showing them consistently makes it a habit.
True Dat!!^^^

Some favorite food scattered down the ramp should do the trick. If youre going to Lowes, get a bundle of Slats (I dont know what lowes calls them). They are the handiest things around, they are fairly thin, about 3 feet long, I prolly use up a bundle for this and that every 2 years. Use them for the cross pieces. Wait until it snows and theyve never seen snow! They will sit inside forever making up their chicken minds about going out in the new snow.
Just keep an eye out for a few days in case someone cant figure out how to get back in the coop...

Grace, just picked up those 3ft sticks you mentioned. Probably the same stuff, I bought a bundle. Also picked up some grip tape stuff, and meal worms at TS. Going to make a new ramp tonight and try to entice them with the meal worms and their new ladder tomorrow :D

I know those little fluffy chickens can jump if they want, one of my buff silkies jumped 2 feet in the air a couple days ago. Don't know how they catch air with feathers like that lol

Last edited:
Seriously, just put them in the coop. They'll find their way out, and in a few days they'll figure it out, and find their way back in.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited:
Seriously, just put them in the coop. They'll find their way out, and in a few days they'll figure it out, and find their way back in.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
probably true! How long should I leave them up there before I worry their health is being affected by lack of food and water? That is if they dont flop down to their run first. Today I left them up their for 3 hours but caved and put them down manually.

probably true! How long should I leave them up there before I worry their health is being affected by lack of food and water? That is if they dont flop down to their run first. Today I left them up their for 3 hours but caved and put them down manually.
Put some food and water in the coop. They'll come out when they're ready to, or when they get bored.
This is the least of your worries Scott.

Hey ScottyTerrier

I have only raised chicks with a broody hen [no incubator].

The chicks have no problems following mum down the ramp in the morning but no matter how much she jumps up and down at the top of the ramp at bed time calling them, they have no idea how to get back up the ramp and for the first week or so, I give them an ‘air lift’ until they figure it out
wink.png

Me? I would leave the food and water in the run and as you have been, cave and put them down manually if they have not worked it out. If you put the food and water in the coop they might be less inclined to want to come out unless, as suggested, boredom kicks in.

I agree that your ramp may be a little on the steep side and as suggested, maybe some ‘rest points’ [logs etc] underneath may encourage them. When I have little ones, I put a ‘table like’ structure behind the ramp in case one should fall, the drop is not so far and also gives them somewhere to ‘hang out’ so rather than just being a way up and down from the coop, it kinda doubles as a place to hang out/perch etc which makes the ramp more inviting than just a way in and out .. I hope that makes sense
wink.png

If you are concerned that they are not going to go back into the coop during the day when it might be a little cold etc; until they have worked it out, maybe try and construct something temporary for them under the coop or in the run to get out of the wind/weather.

Persevere with helping them if you think they need it and they will work it out.

Back
Top Bottom