Teaching chickens to use water cups

mraymond

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
Southwest Missouri
We bought an auto waterer that holds 4 gallons of water and has the little red cups that they just peck and the water comes out, this is outside for them when they are in the run and than a typical waterer in the coop for inside. They do not use the outside one in the run, nor when outside are they smart enough to go in for water. With the temperatures in the mid 80's I'm seeing them acting hot. I can't seem to teach them how to peck for the water. Advice please. The run is closed off so I can't just get in there easily to add a block of ice or something. Poor design and its going to be redone shortly but for now no access to me. Any advice to teach them how to use the outside waterer that I could easily add ice too to cool them off?

Try putting one single kernel of canned or frozen corn in each cup. Stand there and put more in as they peck it out, one kernel at a time. This should be enough to get them curious about pecking the little water dispenser in the cup, and once they realize what it does they'll use it.

When I set up my new water system I found that they were all curious about it. As soon as I started pushing the button and they saw water coming out they started checking it out for themselves and now they love it.

Freeze it for added benefit

You can also just freeze a container of water to make ice blocks and give them. They will get up on it and sit to cool off.

That's a great idea...I will have to see if I can clear some freezer space to do that. Really regret getting rid of my second freezer these days

Back
Top Bottom