igorsMistress

Labels create division.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
CDD54A3E-A6C7-45CD-83C8-B92A75926D4E.jpeg

Meet Elvis. He has no idea how to be a rooster, or even a chicken. He was hatched by a duck but rejected because of leg issues along with a duckling. My son and DIL took them inside and they lived together as they grew. I’m not very sure about housing once they started getting bigger but I know they spent the day inside, in crates I suspect, and were outside at night. This arrangement was partially because they weren’t able to be out before it got really hot here due to their leg issues. Another factor was the dogs, they didn’t want to tempt fate. Fast forward four ish months and he’s now at my house with a flock of his own.

The issue is that he’s very attached to humans, and has no idea how to be a chicken. He’s never met any except one pullet that came with him. He’s used to being held and scratched, and even used to sit on my sons shoulder.

When I go outside he eventually comes over and chases the girls off, then tidbits me but he’s very sweet and gentle about it. I can pick him up and hold him at any time with no resistance and my son made me promise I’d continue the love and such. I don’t have a problem with that, but I’m just coming off a bad experience with a rooster and my instinct is to not trust him. Plus, what happens when the hormones kick in or he figures out he’s a chicken?

So how do you train a rooster to be a rooster when you’re the one he’s attached to?

Poor confused little guy!
Keep him and that pullet together, next to your flock. Gradually back off spending time with him, and start letting the birds out together, if you can. Just maybe he can figure it out over time. And his behavior as he matures is anyone's guess, time will tell.
I wouldn't have him on my shoulder!
Hope you add updates here too.
Mary

Poor confused little guy!
Keep him and that pullet together, next to your flock. Gradually back off spending time with him, and start letting the birds out together, if you can. Just maybe he can figure it out over time. And his behavior as he matures is anyone's guess, time will tell.
I wouldn't have him on my shoulder!
Hope you add updates here too.
Mary
Thank you! Yes will definitely update as things progress.

More background on Elvis. His father or grandfather is a black Australorp named Clyde. He is a really great roo and doesn’t usually give anyone but my son any hassle. Even that is mostly just in Spring when the hormones are starting to rage. He’s fantastic with his girls and good with chicks. His other possible father is Clydes son Ozzie, who is the spitting image of his father and is also good with humans and chicks. His mother is one of the Nn I’d given them over the years. Anyway, once everyone too big to be housed together they were indeed housed separately inside although in the same room, and spent time together outside in the enclosed garden at night.

This is a beloved pet to my son and DIL. I only have him because they think Clyde would pick up on his physical imperfections and kill him. But no pressure!

His feeding routine was that my son would put Elvis on his shoulder while the food and water bowls were cleaned and refilled. He does know that it’s possible to find bugs outside as he has been seen foraging.

Things I’m considering are dropping dehydrated worms at his feet and when he’s got the girls attention I can pick him up and let them come over for treats. Even going so far as to bend down and let him see I’m ok with it. Or hold him in front of me on the ground and let him observe them eating.

When he was tidbitting earlier and had the girls attention I slowly backed away and let them walk up to see what was going on and as long as I wasn’t next to him it was ok. So that’s another option.

For now if he tidbits me I’m going to pick him up and eventually he’ll understand cause and effect. If he backs off then that’s fine. If not and he likes it then I guess I’ll be a rooster hugger.

ETA I think I’m just going to roll with it and not force anything. Try the backing away when the hens come in to see the treats. Better not to force anything.

Last edited:
Elvis is making progress. At first everyone would be in an uproar when I went out to the yard. Elvis would chase away the girls and they’d go after the new pullet and everyone was upset. I limited my trips to once a day to refill water and make everyone has a chance to eat.

By Tuesday I saw everyone out in the yard foraging. We still had all the drama in the evening though. Yesterday I caught the older girls out in the big yard so tossed them some bugs. I found Elvis and the pullet getting along quite nicely. I tossed them some bugs and there was no drama. He didn’t tidbit me, and all was well. This afternoon he was able to join the big girls in a group with no drama.

I’m now going to start treating him to see if he’ll call the girls for snacks.

IM, I had the same problem with my little ButterBean. He didn't have a disability. He was just segregated because the other roosters didn't love him, and the hens were all spoken for. I spent a lot of time holding and grooming him. He danced and tidbitted me. I was a bit worried that he'd turn bad, but he is still sweet as a candy cane. He is over a year old, and still gentle. I rehomed him a couple of weeks ago, so he could have his own flock. I sure miss him though. The people who have him now say he is very good with his hens.

IM, I had the same problem with my little ButterBean. He didn't have a disability. He was just segregated because the other roosters didn't love him, and the hens were all spoken for. I spent a lot of time holding and grooming him. He danced and tidbitted me. I was a bit worried that he'd turn bad, but he is still sweet as a candy cane. He is over a year old, and still gentle. I rehomed him a couple of weeks ago, so he could have his own flock. I sure miss him though. The people who have him now say he is very good with his hens.
Thank you Janie, I hope he remains a sweet boy. We don’t have to cuddle, that’s not my thing anyway. He just needs to be chill with humans being around.

Back
Top Bottom