teaching quail chicks to drink /eat

yallapilko

Songster
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Hi, I was wondering how you do this? I usually just slowly tap my finger in the food or water. No one taught me to do this though. But it seems to work. How do you all do it?

Yes I do the same with the food, it seems to attract them the sound of the food being moved. I presume that's how it sounds when mum starts pecking as she will show chicks how to feed. With the water I pick the chicks up and poke their beaks into it so they know where it is. Usually do it with a few and then the rest get the hang of it once the others start.

I only have to mess with it like one out of ten hatches. I just scatter food over the floor of the brooder they see it, peck at it, and realize it's food. Usually only have to teach them when it's one solo bird. Keep in mind if you take them out of the incubator before they have been hatched for 24 hours they won't be hungry since they will still be absorbing their yolk sac.

Thanks for the info! I just started tapping at the food,and they started eating it. But now they only seem to eat when I go in and tap at the food. Not good!

Back
Top Bottom