Technical support for incubator temps needed

quails-n-tails

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2018
so cal
Hello, all :)
My 32 egg incubator (this model https://www.newegg.com/p/0X6-04U4-0...VERx9Ch3roAt_EAQYBSABEgKop_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) lost its heating power, so I bought a 110V heating plate and replaced it. But now it is heating 2 degrees or more over the panel reading, as in: I set it to 38 C it goes to 42C. I set it to 35.5 and it goes to 39.5 C. While the pane shows the temps are ok - in reality i honestly have no idea what the temps are because I have three different measurements coming from 3 different thermometers inside: 1 is digital thermometer it shows temps and humidity, the 2 is a digital human thermometer, and the 3d is a human thermometer that uses quick silver, all three show different temperatures, i have no idea which one is right. I tend to believe that the quick silver manual thermometer is the most correct.
So, my questions are:
1. Which thermostat is the true temperature? Any type that is truly exact out there?
2. Why is my temperature so off? I used this incubator before without a hick up until the heating element burnt out, so why is this new one so off? if you are an electrician this should make an easy sense: is my heating element too powerful? would a 12V heating element be better for this size? I read up on the machine and it said i can use 110V or even 220v, am I right or wrong? what kind do I need? I have no electrical back ground whatsoever
3. any electrical input is most welcome, help me out please, i am lost in here...
thank you, Anna

The best thing to do is to get 2 or 3 thermometers that you can calibrate or test. I have 3 fish tank thermometers that I tested. They're all 1.1-1.3 degrees, low, but since I know this I can adjust.

I tested them by putting crushed ice into a cup with water, letting it sit for 5-10 minutes, then putting the sensor into the water. It should read 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C.

Back
Top Bottom