Teen temperature - when can they go outside?

Madvalleychick

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
My chickens are about 10-12 weeks old and seem to have lots of feathers. It’s less than 10 degrees for a daytime high this week (is that around 40F)?
can I let them out for an hour or so to run around? Or should I wait for double digits (over 10 - so 50Fish?

They should be able to go outside and run around for a little bit. I wouldn't recommend under 30F degrees, but if they are just running around for a while it should be fine.

Last edited:
I put mine out in teen temps Fahrenheit when they are 4 weeks old. As long as they are mostly feathered out they can handle the cold. Chickens are far more cold hardy than some people will lead you to believe.

Wonderful. I do t have them under heat at all. Just inside, with an open window for fresh air circulation.
sounds like we’re clear to try an outing! I can’t wait to tell them😉

Well we go outside and they pretty much huddle in a pile by a tree. Sometimes they venture a foot or so away from each other - but not exactly running around. We’ve tried sprinkling peanuts And lettuce (what we had in hand).
Maybe when the bugs are out it will be more fun for them.

Well we go outside and they pretty much huddle in a pile by a tree. Sometimes they venture a foot or so away from each other - but not exactly running around. We’ve tried sprinkling peanuts And lettuce (what we had in hand).
Maybe when the bugs are out it will be more fun for them.
I would too....lol!

Well we go outside and they pretty much huddle in a pile by a tree. Sometimes they venture a foot or so away from each other - but not exactly running around.

They're still young and haven't been outside much, so it's scary to them. I would just leave it up to them when they want to venture further. Even though I raise mine outdoors, the first day I give them access outside of the brooder they'll just sit at the "doorstep" looking out, even though they've been looking out at the same view the entire time they've been growing up!

My chickens are about 10-12 weeks old and seem to have lots of feathers. It’s less than 10 degrees for a daytime high this week (is that around 40F)?
can I let them out for an hour or so to run around? Or should I wait for double digits (over 10 - so 50Fish?
I think that if you put chicks outside in those temps, mine can go out in 2 wks. (MD in June) They should be fine with a windbreaker, huddle box and heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom