Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the statement at the bottom of the article about the male student playing with the head of a chicken he just slaughtered was a good thing??? Is he going to become a chicken processing employee, or will he continue to slaughter small animals just to play with their dismembered body parts? Then do we have a future murder, that tells the law enforcement officers, "Well they taught me to do this in high school". This is the point I'm trying to make, caution should be taken when teaching children to slaughter animals.
If the students and parents had not received full disclosure of what the class entails and permission slips to take the class and process animals in said class were not distributed at the time the class was Offered, then the school and teacher should be fined.
And dissecting a dead frog and actually slitting the throat of a live animal are 2 different things.

And dissecting a dead frog and actually slitting the throat of a live animal are 2 different things.

I disagree with you Kat.. I didn't look at where the school was located or if it was city/country but who cares about him playing with a head? I know several people, young people, some much younger than high schoolers. That know how to process a chicken, kill it, etc. It's good for the student to learn how it's food is made. Now, do I agree that they should have killed ones they raised? No. I don't. But I don't think it's bad for students to know where their food comes from.

May have rambled a bit but there are some of my thoughts.

Matthew​

Kat's Silly Chickens :

So, the statement at the bottom of the article about the male student playing with the head of a chicken he just slaughtered was a good thing??? Is he going to become a chicken processing employee, or will he continue to slaughter small animals just to play with their dismembered body parts? Then do we have a future murder, that tells the law enforcement officers, "Well they taught me to do this in high school". This is the point I'm trying to make, caution should be taken when teaching children to slaughter animals.
If the students and parents had not received full disclosure of what the class entails and permission slips to take the class and process animals in said class were not distributed at the time the class was Offered, then the school and teacher should be fined.

A stupid boy playing with a chicken head, is not "disturbing" enough to think he is going to be a serial killer. It is disturbing enough that if he were mine, he'd be taught more respect, but that was the teacher's job in this situation.

I think the students probably knew, else lots of others would have balked at the idea of killing those chickens. Let's face facts, kids are disrespectful as noted above, and if the case were as it is being reported, kids would have no qualms about standing up to that teacher. These were young people, and young people do stupid things. I doubt this is even close to as serious as it sounds. The school should have done project specific permission slips, but still.​

I think the article goes to show how far we as a society are removed from our food.

They have to offer a class that shows people where their food comes from. The fact it is offered is great in my mind because it gives some a chance to see that death must happen if you eat meat.

We are SO far removed that the death of an animal is so novel that kids play with the head. If these kids saw this done as they grew up, they would not find it interesting, just a way of life. If every family who ate meat riased and butchered one of their meals, they would have more respect.

Killing something you eat to killing something human are totally different! If nobody teaches kids how to KILL PROPERLY, where are they going to learn? Will they have to learn how to butcher their food in less than ideal ways before figuring out the "right" way to do it? Properly learning technique is very valuable, and I think the earlier the better. If killing your own food led to future murders and sociopaths, I'd think the rate of murder should have gone down by now with the masses who do not know how to "kill" aka harvest meat or have ever seen it. You'd have thought when every family killed a bird for Sunday dinner that the kids would have long eradicated society back then.

If the processing of a bird was in the course description, she should have never taken the class. But we just don't know that part of the story.

Around here the local FFA raises a meat project and everyone eats it (uunsure about processing though...)

Always, a girl or two will raise a ruckus each year, but it is ignored because THATS WHAT THE CLASS IS ABOUT! If you don't like it don't take it.

(Although if she didn't know about it....)

Quote:
Oh please...

This was an ag course. When I was in high school 25 years ago the ag classes at the local high school involved sitting behind a desk and listening to the teacher lecture about the topic of the day with an occasional field trip to a farm thrown in. The school's ag courses have come a long way since then. They do beekeeping on site and learn to harvest honey. They have their own nursery and grow flowers and plants for sale. They have hands on food processing courses, including actually butchering animals. They even take in the occasional deer during deer season and process them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom