Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the girl should have taken the class if she had a problem with it. Chances are other students had talked about this project in past years and she knew very well what would be happening, unless this was a new teacher or a new project introduced to the class. Even then, she should have opted for something else like chorus or cooking. I'm also pretty sure she knew exactly what was going to happen AHEAD of time. She should have spoken to her parents about it. I highly doubt the kids come into class one day and the teacher just passes out knives and says "here, lets kill some chickens!".

The article seemed very one sided. A lot of ag classes raise and slaughter animals. My ag class raised turkeys. However, students bought the turkeys and could keep them as pets if they wanted. Turkeys were slaughtered the weekend before thanksgiving and you could even pay someone else there to do it for you. It was an optional project, but I really wouldn't have had a problem if it wasn't optional. Some classes I know have raised a cow for slaughter, or pigs, or whatever. If kids have an issue with it, they don't take the class. There were always plenty of more options for them.

Interesting discussion. I would hope there was some sort of 'warning' before it was too late to drop/switch classes. I went to a rural school, AG classes were very popular, we had barns on campus, etc. but no animals were slaughtered in a class. I took the 'meat animals' class. We learned basic husbandry of various meat animals and learned to grade beef but didn't process any actual animals.

My question would be..
Did she KNOW that this was a requirment of the class?
If so.. then i have no sympathy for her. She cant expect to have the rules changed for her..
But if she WASNT told that killing a chicken was a requirment.... then... well.. i support her.

Quote:
I have been reading quietly, but had to step in to say I totally agree!

Our Ag food class butchers chickens too. In fact, they usually come from us!

I have 1 major disagreement with this.
The only way this class is a bad thing is if the students and parents were not informed in writing that the students would be required to slaughter their own animal.
The teacher was very wrong expecting that of a child, children of no age should be taught to kill any living thing.
* How can we teach our children not to be killers when they are older if schools allow them to learn to kill an animal?*
When you raise a few chickens for mainly eggs the last thing you think about it killing it for it's meat.
Yes I eat chicken, but I know I couldn't kill my pet egg laying chickens for their meat.

*We need to Not teach our Children to Kill.*

Kat's Silly Chickens :

I have 1 major disagreement with this.
The only way this class is a bad thing is if the students and parents were not informed in writing that the students would be required to slaughter their own animal.
The teacher was very wrong expecting that of a child, children of no age should be taught to kill any living thing.
* How can we teach our children not to be killers when they are older if schools allow them to learn to kill an animal?*
When you raise a few chickens for mainly eggs the last thing you think about it killing it for it's meat.
Yes I eat chicken, but I know I couldn't kill my pet egg laying chickens for their meat.

*We need to Not teach our Children to Kill.*

How do you think your chicken meat gets on your table?..
They've gotta be killed before you eat them...​

Here is a copy paste paragraph from the article;

"Permission slips are widely used by the school for everything from field trips to R-rated movies. But when it came to slaughtering chickens, parents were left uninformed. By the time the students were told about the project, it was too late to transfer classes, and there was no preparation for the teens or their families for the big event."

If this is a fact then the teacher should be fined, and fired, for handing a Knife to a student to use to Kill a living thing.
There are laws prohibiting firearms and weapons in schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom