Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if (and that's an 'if' that is not totally clear in the article) she knew exactly what was expected at the end of the project, people sometimes change their minds about what they are willing to do to an animal once they care for the animal. Some people are able to raise, care for and then kill animals for meat, others can not bring themselves to do it. That she then felt the need to rescue the animal so that it would not be killed is understandable.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I totally agree

Quote:
Do you expect to read about cars in Auto Tech or read about cooking in Home Economics.

The best way to learn is hands on.

The kid chose to take the class. Why offer sports classes, art classes, home ec, or other non core subjects, might as well not offer them either. Butchering a meal certainly does not make one a farmer.

I just don't understand what the big deal is in American society about "protecting" and "sheltering" kids from the fact of death or slaughter for food, especially if the family eats meat. It HAPPENS! Meat comes from somewhere.

clip-from-newspaper1_LEMS.jpg

-Kankakee, Illinois "Daily Journal"; "Speakout" section 1/4/2009

Quote:
Do you expect to read about cars in Auto Tech or read about cooking in Home Economics.

The best way to learn is hands on.

I just don't understand what the big deal is in American society about "protecting" and "sheltering" kids from the fact of death or slaughter for food, especially if the family eats meat. It HAPPENS! Meat comes from somewhere.

http://www.whatabusylife.com/_IMAGES/clip-from-newspaper1_LEMS.jpg

If that ad weren't so sad, it would be funny.

Yes, I do. I also except a complete syllabus provided as a course outline prior to the start of any course. Animal slaughter has no place in a public school funded by our tax dollars. Most of us do not grow up on farms and many of us do not eat meat.

I think there are several things here....

She made her chicken a pet and did not want to kill it.

No one was required to kill.

Everyone was required to process: gut and pluck if they did not kill.

None of the articles say what was done with the meat or if all the birds were slaughtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom