Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I dont think it would simply fall over and die, it would grow and grow and grow until it suffered leg problems and couldnt walk and THEN die.

Possibly. The ones I rescued did not.

I guess it would depend on the bird too, the ones I tried to keep grew until their legs gave way even on restricted feed and stuff. It was sad really, that they couldnt have a life even when I offered it to them.

I think a class called "Animal Science and Food Production" can mean a lot of things. In more rural areas maybe people would expect to learn about slaughtering and processing meat, but where I live people would have raised high holy hell if kids were told to slaughter chickens. Lots of vegetarians around here! Would have been more fun to raise chickens for eggs, or learn how to milk a cow, and start a school garden than kill a chicken. Either way, they didn't need to actually do it to animals they named and cared for to learn about it. I took human anatomy and physiology and didn't need to dissect a human corpse to get a good understanding of it. That's what books are for.
smile.png

Quote:
It does help to actually have the hands on expirience though. You can read book after book after book but its never the same as doing it for real. And whats the point of knowing how to do it if you can't?

Quote:
The parents AND the student I would think. She should have been informed about it before the course started, but in a food production ag course thats what your learning about right? So you should expect something like that.

I know that i would NOT want any teacher showing MY child how to kill a chicken...ever.
Thats something that a PARENT needs to teach their child.. (IF the child is so inclined to learn about all that stuff..not every child is..) Its a VERY personal, private thing that we all handle differently...
And i remember from HS biology class when we had to disect piglets... some of those kids were SICK and took some kind of morbid pleasure in it.. mostly just showing off, acting like big deals.... even cutting off their tails and little snouts and carrying them around all day..
I can only imagine what those poor birds went through in some of those kids hands... Actually makes me sick to think about.
One reason being they were going to slit the chickens throats...correct??
No way.. never... i dont believe in killing an animal that way..
Sooo, MY child certainly WONT learn to kill an animal that way..

Thats WHY its important that the parents be notified beforehand about these things!!!!!.. because as i said.. NO way my child would be slitting an animals throat.

Just MY humble opinion, as usual..
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Local paper.
http://www.bladeempire.com/news/chs-student-cries-fowl-over-project

The Teacher...
But, Hamilton said he told students about the project at the beginning of the class, and everyone knew what it would entail.
"It wasn't sprung on anybody," he said. "All anyone had to do was say they didn't want to participate. I thought it'd be a neat project.
"I had a majority of the students and even parents say this was a cool project, and they want to know if I'm doing another."
Hamilton said that if Hillman had approached him at any point during the class with her concerns, he would have made allowances for her.
"She never approached me to do an alternative project," he said. "I think she had plenty of time to opt out. If she had had that much of a problem with it, we could have worked something out."​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom