Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Sure.. it looks ugly ANY way you do it...
But.. Its not about "looking ugly".... its about being humane. And for MY birds .. I make that decision. Noone else.
LIke i said.. each person does it differently... and thats that.

"The point is she acted rashly last minute based on emotions and has gotten a school system and reasonable agriculture program a lot of bad press over a chicken.
She had from the beginning of the semester when she was first informed of the project to raise issue with it. She brushed it off thinking there wouldn't be funding.
She had 6 weeks to complain when the chicks arrived, but did virtually nothing.
She had weeks to tell her parents, other students, and the community of the project and her objections to it.
Nothing was said until after the incident when she was being hailed as 'brave' for snagging a chicken and running off with it. She could have made a bigger statement for herself by staging a full protest and halting the entire project saving all the chickens, but instead smuggled one off of the property in a last ditch effort of defiance.

Yes, she acted out according to her morals and beliefs. Hooray for her. She has also brought a media hell storm and potential lawsuits upon a school that was trying to educate their students. To a lot of people she has caused more trouble over a single chicken than need be."

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The point is she acted rashly last minute based on emotions and has gotten a school system and reasonable agriculture program a lot of bad press over a chicken.
She had from the beginning of the semester when she was first informed of the project to raise issue with it. She brushed it off thinking there wouldn't be funding.
She had weeks to tell her parents, other students, and the community of the project and her objections to it.
Nothing was said until after the incident when she was being hailed as 'brave' for snagging a chicken and running off with it. She could have made a bigger statement for herself by staging a full protest and halting the entire project saving all the chickens, but instead smuggled one off of the property in a last ditch effort of defiance.

Yes, she acted out according to her morals and beliefs. Hooray for her. She has also brought a media hell storm and potential lawsuits upon a school that was trying to educate their students. To a lot of people she has caused more trouble over a single chicken than need be.

I can accept and respect your view... However hindsight IS 20/20... We all do not do make the right decisions 100% of the time... Heck look at me...
lol.png
hmm.png

I generally cut some slack for my kids, and give them the benefit of the doubt.... (Of course I feel I would have been communicating with them and been able to head this situation off before she stole the chicken. (I would have went and stole the chicken if that is what it came to after negotiation and debate.., NOT having my child commit a crime for any reason...

I think I am done here until I here more answers from the horses mouth..

(Sorry for offending you Deerman, that was not my intention with my poor judgment analogy..)
ON

Quote:
The point is she acted rashly last minute based on emotions and has gotten a school system and reasonable agriculture program a lot of bad press over a chicken.

Yes, she acted out according to her morals and beliefs. Hooray for her. She has also brought a media hell storm and potential lawsuits upon a school that was trying to educate their students. To a lot of people she has caused more trouble over a single chicken than need be.

I can accept and respect your view... However hindsight IS 20/20... We all do not do make the right decisions 100% of the time... Heck look at me...
lol.png
hmm.png

I generally cut some slack for my kids, and give them the benefit of the doubt.... (Of course I feel I would have been communicating with them and been able to head this situation off before she stole the chicken. (I would have went and stole the chicken if that is what it came to after negotiation and debate.., NOT having my child commit a crime for any reason...

I think I am done here until I here more answers from the horses mouth..

(Sorry for offending you Deerman, that was not my intention with my poor judgment analogy..)
ON

The trouble here is, as i stated in my previous post, this just wasn't a teen making a wrong decision- her parents had knowledge of the theft beforehand and elected to help her steal instead of talk to the school.

Quote:
I just want to hear more from the horses mouth..
wink.png

If that was the case... the school would have HEARD what I had to say!!!! If they gave me the "destiny" line and would not allow me to buy the chicken.... Then well,,, I would not be a sheep and fold...
big_smile.png

Keep in mind Stealing is very very very wrong in my opinon.

(Heck won't even let my kids watch Aladin, because I think it glamorizes his stealing..

ON

Quote:
OK now that I know you were asking me hear goes.....

I was a mentor with the explorers program mentoring teens. Mostly girls. I did have to learn read between the lines. This girl seems very outspoken an opinionated to me. If she had an issue with this like she said she did I believe everyone would have known sense day one. She keeps her mouth shut for some reason. Without going to the school board or the principle she makes this plan and steals the chicken. Then she becomes vocal an calls Unnameable groups. A 180 degree change. She then says that its about not being able to get out of it but them she makes this remark. "But, you will never, ever convince me that killing an animal at school is a good idea. If it is traumatic to anyone or offensive to anyone it is wrong. It is ...very traumatic to the chickens." That makes be believe its her agenda to stop it an not to just get a warning added to the class. All of that together does make me wonder if that was not he intent when she started the class. It would explain waiting till it came to a head before speaking up. I may be dead wrong but it gives me reason to question.

Now the Teacher got the ok for what he did an said she didn't ask to opt out. She didn't complain to anyone else so why would I think he was ling about it. Then Unnameable groups talk about the story but dont dig any dirt up to question the word of the teacher ether. They just dont print it.

So I still have no reason to distrust the teacher but I do have questions about the girls story. I would love to have proof from a third person about how it went down ether way but I dont have it. So I trust the person that seems more trustworthy.

The school board admitted that the slaughter should have been in the description to so it don't sound like the school is trying to hide anything.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
Quote:
I wouldn't teach my child to kill an animal.

If he chose to do so in the name of food as an adult, then that would be his decision.

Quote:
I wouldn't teach my child to kill an animal.

If he chose to do so in the name of food as an adult, then that would be his decision.

That's ok Rozzie
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom