Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I dont think she is all that awesome, she stole the chicken because it was going to be butchered and made a huge fuss over the whole deal. Plus, since its a Cornish X its legs are going to give out and probably isn't too likely to make it to next summer anyways.

and it's going to have a heartattack.... then the teen will be sad because here "pet" is dead... These are MEAT NOT pets....

WHAT?
somad.gif

DON'T SAY THEY ARE MEAT! SOME AREN'T, ARE THEY?
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

Quote:
Out of thousands who try. I've watched hundreds of them grow up an die. One that lives is the exception, not the rule.

No one is saying there is a thing wrong with having a meat chicken as a pet but a commercial Cornish X is so genetically messed up that its almost impossible. An that's what the teacher said it was.

I have a dog who's average life span is 8 years. I still chose him over many breeds that are known to live 14 years or more. I had a rat that lived for two years (rats aren't supposed to be pets; they're supposed to be pests...lol). I had a sweet little EE who only lived for 8 months. ALL will die, some sooner, some later. All I can do as a pet owner is treat them as well as I can treat them, and enjoy them for the time they are here. Quality of life comes before quantity of life for me. So a sweet CX (and I've heard from MANY people that they can be VERY sweet; have no personal experience with them) under my care for even 6 months would mean something, that I gave an animal (pet in my case) 6 months of good living.
smile.png

they are meat birds for meat
Quote:
and it's going to have a heartattack.... then the teen will be sad because here "pet" is dead... These are MEAT NOT pets....

WHAT?
somad.gif

somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

Quote:
YAY FOR THE TEEN! She is awesome! if she was somewhere where i lived, id fight to make her a celebrity or something!
tongue.png

anyways, if she sees this,
thumbsup.gif
to her!

I respectfully disagree.

First of all, she joined a class entitled Animal Science and Food Production Class. What did she think would be in that class?
Secondly, she directly disobeyed one of the requirements in the class and kidnapped her 'pet.' Which brings me to my third point. In a food production class, they were given a meat bird to raise. Specifically, one for fast meat production. They are not pets, and if you try to keep one as a pet, they can and will die. Cornish X eat a lot. So much they'd eat themselves to death. If she did keep it as a pet, wouldn't you think there would be more suffering than killing it?

In short, she had no right to kidnap a bird simply because she bonded with an animal meant entirely for meat consumption and little else.

I agree, good post
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

WHAT?
somad.gif

somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

They are meat birds raised for meat and nothing else. They aren't bred to be someones pet because they rarely live longer then 7-8 months

what im trying to say is they dotn live a very good quality life most have to get out down beacuse there to fat to be able to walk
Quote:

I have a dog who's average life span is 8 years. I still chose him over many breeds that are known to live 14 years or more. I had a rat that lived for two years (rats aren't supposed to be pets; they're supposed to be pests...lol). I had a sweet little EE who only lived for 8 months. ALL will die, some sooner, some later. All I can do as a pet owner is treat them as well as I can treat them, and enjoy them for the time they are here. Quality of life comes before quantity of life for me. So a sweet CX (and I've heard from MANY people that they can be VERY sweet; have no personal experience with them) under my care for even 6 months would mean something, that I gave an animal (pet in my case) 6 months of good living.
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

Then they suffer because they cannot walk anymore and die of a heartattack

or getting eaten beacuse there the most vulnerable breed in the world to predators
Quote:

Obviously some are very uneducated about what kind of birds are out there....maybe they should take a class on the differences first. Then the class Whitney took. I also find it odd that they all stopped eating meat all the sudden. I would think that would be hard to do for the family. Kinda seems weird for sure.

Quote:

And if that happens (quality of life takes a nose-dive), then any responsible pet owner should do the kind thing and put the animal down so that it doesn't suffer. But just because there's potential to suffer down the road doesn't mean that the animal shouldn't even be considered or given a chance. Great Danes are well known for suffering from stomach flip (stomach torsion), so anyone who chooses this breed had best be prepared for the possibility of losing this type of dog early. Since it is so common, should no one breed or own a great dane?? And I have read several posts (here on BYC) of CX that lived healthy lives for well over a year. Don't get me wrong, I understand that these birds generally don't live long at all, and often die of heart failure or something along those lines. But there are those who live "normal" happy chicken lives as well.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom