Teenager Tom

southernsibe

Songster
12 Years
Jun 15, 2007
kensington, maryland
My tom has reached sexual maturity. I think. He has tried to mount a hen, a chicken hen. He hasn't tried to mount my turkey hen. Maybe she hasn't reached maturity and isn't sending the right signals? Now he is attempting to have his way with thin air. He gets puffed up and then started doing his business with nothing under him! Is this normal? It lasts about 5 mintues, then he goes on his way.
Rachel

Yes, it's normal. Funny to watch, but normal. You might want to keep him separate from your chickens, he could potentially hurt one. My grandfather had a turkey tom that mounted a chicken (pit-game) hen, something broke because she never did walk correctly again. She had an almost straight up and down posture, where as she had a regular posture before it happened.

I had a tom that had an 'unnatural' relationship with a very small duck. She had co-dependency issues and he now lives in northern Indiana with a girlfriend of his own kind.

We also had a turkey hen but she wasn't interested in him and he wasn't in her either.

e

My toms tried several times to mount my orpington hens. I wasn't having any of that.... I mean have you seen how big those feet are...lol. From that point on the turkeys became free range only until the turkey hens started co-operating with them.

I once had a young tom mount a turkey hen only to have two other toms mount on top (like a pyramid one tom on top of another etc...) I made my mistake when I pulled the turkey hen out from the bottom of the pile before going to get the camera.. It took them several minutes to realize the hen was then standing there looking at all 3 toms still humping in pyramid formation.

Didn't get the pic in time and it has never happened again....would have been a great shot though.

Julie

years ago, my son was given a young roo.. we lived in the city at that time in nashville. He was amazing. he took over my sons foot ball and married it. he protected it, made love to it and tried to feed it and boss it around it surely was a sight to see.

neighbors called codes on the crowing..they just didnt see the beauty in our rooster.and he had to go live on a farm.
oh he slept in the dog house with our dog and usually did not get up til late in the day..dont know what their matter was...haha

what your seeing is normal for the tom.he will mount the hen in time.being fall she wont lay eggs till spring.

I wondered about my tom doing the same thing. It was rather disturbing when I realized what he was doing. I think it's a frustration issue with him, because he's also tried it with buckets and my leg.
hmm.png
It's not like he doesn't have any women...

Back
Top Bottom