Teenie tiny egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jewel1, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    My hen, Roxy has been laying since December last year. She normally lays medium-sized eggs, but today, after sitting in the nest-box for about 45 minutes and a lot of egg-song, she gave me a pebble-sized egg. It has something in it, but I haven't opened it yet to see if there is a tiny yolk. [​IMG]

Here's a blurry pic of the tiny egg against some other large eggs I got today from my other girls.

Julie

[​IMG]

2. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

Haha, the same thing happened to our Americana who has been laying for 3 1/2 years now. After that she just started laying normal sized eggs again, I wonder what caused that!?

3. wayneclea

wayneclea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    A while back, I used to get an egg like that once in a great while, from the old hens.
    I told my neighbors that they were "Diet Eggs!" LOL. Some had tiny yolks, some did not. Was not often though...

4. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Other chicken owners keep telling me it happens form time to time and they call it a "fart" egg. [​IMG]

PS no yolk inside..just whites

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. ajr

ajr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Anytime I get tiny ones my youngest son always claims them. So I fry them up for him. Once we got one not much bigger than a marble. Sure enough it had a yolk in it. [​IMG]

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    We have a customer with two little boys, and we always save those eggs for him (they get thrown in as an extra with his egg order). His kids fight over them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by