Teeniest tiny little baby silkie

SOOOO cute!!!!
I'm glad you made a separate brooder. I had a little one hatch out and I left it in the nesting box with mom and the next day I went out and it literally disappeared like a alien abduction. The hen was the only one with access to the chick so I don't know if a snake got in or what but I kicked myself for not taking it and putting it with some other day old chicks I had under a light in a more secure location. I just wrongly assumed Momma hen would keep it safe.:idunno

How
Introducing Baby Blue! I had the impulsive decision once my 1 year old silkie went broody for the 3rd time, to stick her own egg under her (our rooster is also a silkie). Yesterday was day 21 and last night I peeked under her, and found half a shell! I poked around a bit more and found the tiniest little munchkin! I think it had literally just happened. Today we built a little brooder in the coop for them and the baby even came out to say hi before mom gave it heck and ushered her back underneath. Its a feisty brave little thing already (probably a roo) but its literally the size of my thumb (both mom and dad are small even for bantams)
How big are the parents?

SOOOO cute!!!!
I'm glad you made a separate brooder. I had a little one hatch out and I left it in the nesting box with mom and the next day I went out and it literally disappeared like a alien abduction. The hen was the only one with access to the chick so I don't know if a snake got in or what but I kicked myself for not taking it and putting it with some other day old chicks I had under a light in a more secure location. I just wrongly assumed Momma hen would keep it safe.:idunno
I hadn’t planned to, I was going to keep it with the flock and then when I saw how ridiculously small it was there was no way. The brooder inside the coop works out really well and we just threw it together and I closed out the rest of the flock in the meantime. Yesterday I peeked in and 4 of my hens were all lined up just watching the baby and mama.

Back
Top Bottom