Teeniest tiny little baby silkie

How
Introducing Baby Blue! I had the impulsive decision once my 1 year old silkie went broody for the 3rd time, to stick her own egg under her (our rooster is also a silkie). Yesterday was day 21 and last night I peeked under her, and found half a shell! I poked around a bit more and found the tiniest little munchkin! I think it had literally just happened. Today we built a little brooder in the coop for them and the baby even came out to say hi before mom gave it heck and ushered her back underneath. Its a feisty brave little thing already (probably a roo) but its literally the size of my thumb (both mom and dad are small even for bantams)
How big are the parents?

SOOOO cute!!!!
I'm glad you made a separate brooder. I had a little one hatch out and I left it in the nesting box with mom and the next day I went out and it literally disappeared like a alien abduction. The hen was the only one with access to the chick so I don't know if a snake got in or what but I kicked myself for not taking it and putting it with some other day old chicks I had under a light in a more secure location. I just wrongly assumed Momma hen would keep it safe.:idunno
I hadn’t planned to, I was going to keep it with the flock and then when I saw how ridiculously small it was there was no way. The brooder inside the coop works out really well and we just threw it together and I closed out the rest of the flock in the meantime. Yesterday I peeked in and 4 of my hens were all lined up just watching the baby and mama.

I love it when the hens raise their own babies. Love to observe them teaching ♥ Congratulations. He's (or she's) adorable.:love
It is the most adorable thing. She talked to it before it hatched. She has all sorts of different calls she uses with it. One for soothing, one for telling it to get under her and another one to tell it to come out and eat. Its sooooo cute! She is such a good mama!

I feel like everyone needs this, so below are some videos of little Baby Blue. Mama knocked over the water feeder in the brooder last night and I woke up to a very cold and wet mom and baby so they spent a day in the tub with a big warm blanket to dry off and warm up. My favourite is the drinking one with mom nodding off in the background.

Back
Top Bottom