teeny tiny bantam

crazyapple

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
I purchased 4 little mixed bantams 4 1/2 weeks ago and 2 standard Americaunas. The standards are getting big and I'm wondering if I got lucky and got 2 pullets. Of the 4 bantams 1 is looking healthy but is still pretty small, certainly smaller than the other 3. The 3 larger "girls" ( I hope) are about pigeon size right now and the "runt" is about where the others were two weeks ago. Should I be worried? When will roosters give away their identities?

Thanks
Crazyapple

You said they were mixed bantams ... different breeds mature and grow at a different rate so this 'runt' may actually be just where he/she should be by breeding. If it is eating, drinking and acting fine, I would not worry too much about it.

Just watch it and make sure it is eating and acting normal.
big_smile.png

Talk about runts:

I had call ducks a few years back (for those not in the know: call ducks are mallard type and half the size of the mallard with 4 times the noise. They were bred to be living decoys for duck hunters.) And one chick was a runt. It was always stumbling behind her siblings and I thought it would be a "cull" destined for the stewpot. At the fall bird club auction I wound up selling the mother and this runt daughter. Well they started calling at the right time. Folks went nuts about these two and the size of the daughter (breeders are trying to make the breed smaller). The pitch of the runt was higher as well. At the auction they went for $175 each (much to my surprise as I bought the parents for $50).

When the action happened people forgot which was which so they bid up both of them.

My lucky day.

Back
Top Bottom