Tell gender by tail ?

The wattles and comb do look red, but I think by 7 weeks all of ours were getting red & we have 8 BA pullets. The tail looks like the tail of the pullets, but you could still have a roo. I honestly have no idea.

If it's aggressive and you do not like putting it in with the others, maybe you should get rid of it whether it's male or female.

My Black Australorp pullet's comb didn't turn into a big red comb until she started laying. Before that it was very small and dark. THAT, my friend, is a rooster.

Kind of hard to see, but she's on the left in the pic. She's about 10-12 weeks in this pic I think.
12464_p1010118.jpg

Last edited:
True. The problem is now it's chasing everyone and I have to lock it in dog crate at night cause it won't let the 4 new pullets in the coop. All the others get along fine. I think its got a couple more days and then it'll be time to move on. Thanks everybody for your help.

Hope it changes its attitude and turns out to be a pullet, a BA pullet was my favorite choice. If I just leave it in there at night do you think it will stop or not? I bought some more chicks from a guy who had hatchery BA pullets that had comb/wattles/tail just like this one so I'm very confused. Maybe it's just PMS. lol

Ours are just over 2 months old. We have 8 pullets & 1 rooster. They all have red combs, but the rooster's is much bigger and redder. They also all have wattles, but his are bigger and redder. None of ours are old enough to lay yet. He also had his before the girls started getting theirs.

Here are some of ours at about 8 weeks. All of these are female.
28482_008.jpg

Here is the rooster. This picture was made a couple of days before the previous photo of his girls.
28482_018.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'll give it a try for a lil longer but will it quit chasing the others and let them in the coop pretty soon if I leave them alone? Or should I keep locking it up in "chick jail" at night?

Back
Top Bottom