Tell me a little about Jersey Giants

KingsCalls

Songster
12 Years
Oct 22, 2007
New Market,Tn.
My brother is wanting some jersey giants. I thought i might get him a few for Christmas and would like to know a little about them....Good layers? yes or no
Friendly birds? yes or no
How big do they get?
Broody? yes or no
anything else would help

Mine are really sweet. As chicks they were nosy, and still, when I come out, they have to see what's new with me, and taste my clothes, LOL
They started laying around 5 months , and lay big eggs pretty consistently. They get pretty big, but not until their 2nd year. My three, Marishka, Henrietta, and Charlene were my very first chicks. I love mine. I didn't think they'd go broody, but Henrietta has been sitting on 4 golfballs for a few weeks now. I took them out, and the next morning she was sitting on a small cup. They are very calm.

I love my girls. They are quiet, calm and have loads of personality. Mine will even come in the house to eat the cat food if the door is open. Mine don't seem to be really late layers, and they lay very nice eggs. Up here in Canada we don;t have the really large variety, I am hoping to import some next year and start breeding up here. I also want to get some of the blue variety.

Beautiful, gentle creatures and BIG!!!!!! They are very curious and love attention. The Roos are very nosy here at our little farm. Our boys carry them around the yard like a dog. They are so big they can peek in our front door window!!:eek::eek: They would be a great addition to your yard.!!

Hi! My first hatching of JG's are 'just about to be mature'.
And 2 words come to mind: Slow and Big.
The boys are darling gentle giants 'so far', and at 7 months now, I expect the girls will be laying any time.
smile.png

Lisa

Thanks everyone.....I think I remember reading somewhere that they were developed as a meat bird but , they grew too slow to be a sensable meat bird. My brother likes them because they are BIG.

This is my seven year old giant 'Momma'. She is a great biddy and these are actually araucana chicks she hatched.

IMG_1271.jpg

Some giants are broody and make excellent biddies. Momma is in the nest now waiting for some eggs which are on the way.

My Jersey Giants were among the first to lay -- only my RIR and Golden Comets layed sooner. They are the sweetest birds!!! They have big brown, rather than yellow, eyes and an extremely mellow disposition. They are very consistent layers, too.

Mine are 16 months old and only slightly bigger than the average chicken, I think. Definitely bigger than the Delaware and Speckled Sussex, but around the same size as the RIR. Their eggs are longer, but narrow.

Mine are hatchery chickens so maybe not purebred?

Back
Top Bottom