Tell me about bucket waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tracyree, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    So I've always just used the basic gallon waterers but am curious about the bucket ones that go to nipples or cups. What's the advantage? I assume not having to fill everyday? But don't we want to give them fresh water daily?

2. CrazyCatLady76

CrazyCatLady76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hazard
    I made a waterer out of a five-gallon bucket and a pack of nipples, and it's awesome. There's never, ever any poop in it, the cover keeps the water fresh for a couple days, and it hangs up out of the way and doesn't take up floor space. And it cost a lot less than the galvanized gallon ones at the farm store--the bucket was free from a restaurant and the nipples were about $10 with shipping for a 5 pack. I only used 3, so I could still make a second one for the run for no extra money.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yes I still change my water daily, but it is NEVER fouled from dirty feet or beaks during the day with the nipples allowing for fresh water all day long.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Some people use them so they only have to refill weekly or so. I like them so because I do not have to clean them very often. I give them fresh water but don't have to scrub them down each time like I did with the hanging waterers.
    [​IMG]

5. clwhite1012

clwhite1012 New Egg

Aug 20, 2011
    Sounds interesting, is there a picture of one and how it is designed. We give our chickens fresh water usually every other day but their waterer gets dirty because it is open and close to the ground.

I am curious about preparing for colder weather. What do we need to do to keep the water from freezing. My brother mentioned heating pans and coils with metal buckets but we would like to avoid running an extension cord out to the coop. Is there anything that is battery operated?

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    2 gallon paint bucket from home depot, 4 nipples...

[​IMG]

Basic mop bucket with 4 nipples....

[​IMG]

I an a cheap sort so use what I have around the homestead......

7. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Quote:We use what we have also. I built mine for about $20.00, including the cost of the nipples I found on Ebay!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by