Tell me about minks

Well I doubled up security around the coop yesterday to protect from digging and funnel him into my traps. I also cleared out the brush from the corner of the yard where we saw him by the fence, so he will be more exposed if he comes around. (Night vision is turning out to be an awesome investment).

Right now I feel like my efforts to catch him have been a bit schizo. I've got lights and stuff setup to keep him away, as well as traps to draw him in. But now that I'm confident about my nighttime security, I think need to shift gears, get rid of the deterrents, and bait him in all the way.

The best part is that I know where he is coming from, the path he is taking to the coop, as well as the time of night he is likely to return. I'm pretty certain I saw him last night, but my dog opened the door and when I tried to push her back in she knocked over a metal bucket LOL, and I didn't see it again.

Okay...well I'm following. I certainly hope you get him before he does anything. It seems he very interested in your coop!
We have a mink farm 5 miles from our house. A few years ago (before we had chickens) animal activists broke it a let all the minks go! Seriously?!? So I'm paranoid that minks could show up here sometime. We already have coyotes, hawks, owls, cougars, weasels...and who knows what else!
I expect your wife will get a mink shawl out of this!

Even if you don't catch it it will stop coming around soon as it's not getting a meal. First year I had birds and the very first night I put them outside in an unfinished coop, no floor yet, a mink took three birds. Lived by a large river, could tell by size of hole it dug that it was mink, not stoat or skunk. Got the coop up on stilted floor next day and no more problems.

i agree a good offense is better than defense anytime when it comes to predators i have hawks here and its illegal to kill them they stay after my baby goats as well as chickens I have bird netting over my kiddlings

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom