Tell me about NN's ** PICS ADDED **

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Last night I went to TS - and saw my very first NN ( other than pics ) they were they only tow little NN's in a mass of baby chicks the employees were making fun of them calling them ugly , and that they are going to need sunscreen etc..... so I asked DH ( who said no when he saw pics of them ) said " ok why not lets give them a try"
ep.gif
th.gif

so now I have these two little ones - and so far they are very sweet, shy and quiet the other chicks kinda push them around alittle.

what can you tell me about this breed ? pros - and cons please. are they good layers? are they roos aggressive? how are they in the heat ( 100's in the summer ) how about the cold? do they go broody? what color eggs do they normally lay?

sorry for all the questions - never had them before LOL

Julie

Last edited:
I love Naked Necks. Mine are the best layers I have. Every day without fail, winter and summer. Mine took a break when they molted. They are very friendly. I never had a NN roo. They lay a light brown egg. If I could get more, I would. Good luck with them.

Mine are the BEST layers. I usually get an egg a day from all 10 of mine. I've never had a standard NN roo, so I cant help you. I have two bantam NN roos and one is nice and one is a total butt, so its just one of those breeds. They do lay a light brown egg, and they are usually nice and large. They are really sweet birds too. I live in CA and it can get pretty hot in the summer and they seem to do just fine. As for the cold, Im not sure. Post some pics!

They are a great breed. Good layers just like the other person said and many others have said the same thing. Eggs are tinted(light tan to medium brown). Roos are not aggressive but as in every breed, there can be a bad apple in the bunch. They do go broody and usually are very good mothers.

Heat is absolutely no problem.. our summers are always 110-120F and they don't even notice. No sunburn either, although the rooster's necks do turn a deep candy apple red but it is normal and not a sunburn thing.

You'll be very glad with the decision to take them.
smile.png

they r awesome, u won't be sorry!! i agree with the others.
smile.png
eggs if standard are about jumbo sized. if bantam normal bantam sized and both lay tinted.

they r my hardiest breed come winter so no probs there it gets sometimes -10 here in pa. i have almost all showgirls now not turkens but they r the sameway just prettier, and demand to be broodier more, rotfl.
gig.gif

i have a little bantam NN who is a very cute and funny chicken. she acts shy at first but if i sit still for a few minutes eventually her curiosity overtakes her and she will come stick her head up under my arm or over my leg to see what i'm doing. she is a very good layer too! i think she's adorable.
good luck with your new babies, i think you will really enjoy them!

ok here are the two little " helmet heads " as DH calls them - one has a very light color coming in on the wings and the other has alot more black - so I am hoping that if they are both pullets they will have different coloring so I will be able to tell them apart as they grow.

S6300343.jpg

S6300342.jpg

S6300341.jpg

S6300340.jpg

S6300338.jpg

I know you raise them just like any other chicken, treat them pretty much the same - but everytime I hold them I feel they are more delicate than the others LOL maybe because of the whole no feathering thing I dont know. I can only have one standard sizrd roo in the main pen and if my little BR turns out to be a pullet I wouldn't mind one of the NN's to be a roo - I will call him E.T. LOL

Julie

They are adorable, Julie! I understand the whole delicate thing, they look sick,lol. They really are a great, hardy bird though. And, as stated about, if you want a good broody, they are the way to go! I had 4 trying to hide from me on the nests yesterday, but they all got kicked out.
roll.png

I have a little Showgirl who is very even tempered and sweet. She fits in just fine with the other girls (she just recently when from a chicken tractor to the main coop). She hasn't started laying yet, though.

Cute, cute!

Looks like the light one may be a buff, very nice.. you'll have to take pictures again if it does turn out a solid buff! It's kinda common for the ones that grow dark feathers(seems very dark on my monitor?) like on the other one to be cockerels. Still more of a wild guess at this point though.

Back
Top Bottom